• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TwiddlingThumbs
    FTDNA Customer
    • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
    The SNP Pack you ordered probable did not find your terminal SNP. It only found the most down stream SNP included in that SNP Pack.
    Maybe a definitional issue with "terminal SNP"? I ordered the YSEQ Northwest Irish Panel about 18 months ago based on my STRs indicating that I was probably R-M222. The SNP farthest down the tree for which I tested positive was S588. All the results included in the panel for SNPs below S588 were negative. According to ISOGG, "terminal SNP" is the defining SNP of the latest subclade known by current research. I think that means that, at the time I took my test, S588 was my terminal SNP because there were no SNP tests for subclades I might fit in below that. YSEQ has since add a few more SNP tests for subbranches below S588, so in theory I could fit in one of those and find I had a new terminal SNP. However, tracking the discussion in the M-222 project, there seem to be a fair number of men with different surnames who are "stuck" on S588 despite Big Y testing. So, for some on the S588 branch of the tree, it seems like SNPs have not yet been identified which would allow them to identify relatives within the genealogical time period even if their relatives have taken Big Y. I guess that is a bit of a chicken and the egg situation, however, because if they and some relatives took Big Y, the results could be used to identify a defining SNP downstream of S588, identify a new subclade, and establish a new terminal SNP.
    Last edited by TwiddlingThumbs; 22 July 2017, 07:59 AM.

Comment

• Jim Barrett
      R-BY55907
      • Apr 2003

Originally posted by TwiddlingThumbs View Post
      According to ISOGG, "terminal SNP" is the defining SNP of the latest subclade known by current research.
      How many new SNPs have been found when Big-Y was used?

If you subscribe to the ISOGG list you know there are many members who don't like the term "Terminal SNP" and prefer something like "Most Down Stream Tested SNP". If you have been a member of ISOGG since its inception you also know they are continually updating their definitions.

Comment

• TwiddlingThumbs
        FTDNA Customer
        • Jan 2016

How many new SNPs have been found when Big-Y was used?
        Do you mean how many new SNPs have been identified by comparing Big Y results of men who are S588+ but for which YSEQ is not yet offering a SNP test?

If you subscribe to the ISOGG list you know there are many members who don't like the term "Terminal SNP" and prefer something like "Most Down Stream Tested SNP". If you have been a member of ISOGG since its inception you also know they are continually updating their definitions.
        Not a subscriber, but I am not surprised.

Comment

• Jim Barrett
          R-BY55907
          • Apr 2003

Do you mean how many new SNPs have been identified by comparing Big Y results of men who are S588+ but for which YSEQ is not yet offering a SNP test?
          Since FTDNA started offering Big Y - How many SNPs have been discovered that were not on anyone's tree at the time of the discovery.

Comment

• Martin Potter
            Project *****istrator
            • Sep 2007

Not a subscriber, but I am not surprised.
            You should subscribe (join). Many/most of the real issues that we project admins face are discussed on their mail list (Yahoo) by a large number of informed and involved experts. In fact, this whole STR/SNP question was well debated there last February/March. It was very enlightening.

... Martin

Comment

• TwiddlingThumbs
              FTDNA Customer
              • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Martin Potter View Post
              You should subscribe (join). Many/most of the real issues that we project admins face are discussed on their mail list (Yahoo) by a large number of informed and involved experts. In fact, this whole STR/SNP question was well debated there last February/March. It was very enlightening.

... Martin
              Thanks, Martin. I will.

Comment

• MCole25
                FTDNA Customer
                • Jan 2017

If you're not an admin?

I'm interested in a project where the admin replies to messages to reply so is technically active, but he's a grad student and says he doesn't have time to work on the project or answer questions. Only someday, maybe he'll get around to it.

I've been trying to group the results using a cut and paste into the spreadsheet. Would it be possible to use your grouping program with the spreadsheet?

Thanks!

Comment

• The_Contemplator
                  FTDNA Customer
                  • Jun 2015

You could just use that app in the project results page and then use the CSV file in Excel. Another option would be to talk to that admin and have him add you as a co-admin if you want to help out. Though if you don't want to or can't be another admin and not all the results are in the project, you could always make a html page out of your spreadsheet data. Maybe you can use that on the app.

This is of course if the app maker can't make it work on your spreadsheet.

Comment

• TwiddlingThumbs
                    FTDNA Customer
                    • Jan 2016

Originally posted by MCole25 View Post
                    I'm interested in a project where the admin replies to messages to reply so is technically active, but he's a grad student and says he doesn't have time to work on the project or answer questions. Only someday, maybe he'll get around to it.

I've been trying to group the results using a cut and paste into the spreadsheet. Would it be possible to use your grouping program with the spreadsheet?

Thanks!
                    As long as the column headings are the same as in the original FTDNA results chart, it should work on your spreadsheet. You just need to save it as a csv file and then use the app's csv input option to upload the data to the app.

Re administration of the project you are interested in - Perhaps you can get the admin to add you as a co-admin. If he is too busy to handle the administrative duties, he should get someone (like you) to assist him as a co-administrator.

Comment

• MCole25
                      FTDNA Customer
                      • Jan 2017

As long as the column headings are the same as in the original FTDNA results chart, it should work on your spreadsheet. You just need to save it as a csv file and then use the app's csv input option to upload the data to the app.

Re administration of the project you are interested in - Perhaps you can get the admin to add you as a co-admin. If he is too busy to handle the administrative duties, he should get someone (like you) to assist him as a co-administrator.
                      Thanks, I'll message you and give it a try. I did offer to help, as I have in other cases. Generally, I find that overwhelmed admins are actually skeptical of help. I think if someone comes to the table without any previous experience working on projects, admins think that it will just end up being additional work for them trying to help the co-admin. I thought that I might try the app and then share it with the admin and see if that might help nudge things along.

Comment

Working...
                      X