Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should projects always display STR marker results?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should projects always display STR marker results?

I have run across a case where a surname project admin is actively "protecting the privacy of the project members" by not displaying the results pages. Considering that this project covers 8+ spelling variants of a surname across several lineages I wonder if this is ethical and should be allowed for any GAP administrator.

Specifically since the tester is given the tools to set access rights to test data should the project admin be able to override those preferences by not displaying the STR or mtDNA result pages based upon their views of privacy?

My own opinion:

A project administrator has the right to make such a decision based on the specific purposes of the project. However...

In such a case, the project administrator cannot reasonably object to the creation of another "competing" project that takes a more open view. Individual customers then have a free choice of whether to join either one or both.

Comment

Originally posted by wkauffman View Post
      Specifically since the tester is given the tools to set access rights to test data should the project admin be able to override those preferences by not displaying the STR or mtDNA result pages based upon their views of privacy?
      1) FTDNA gave us that right when they provided the option allowing such action.

2) I can not understand why any admin wouldn't take full advantage of the free results website and display all possible information.

3) FTDNA might not allow a second project for the same (similar) name as was suggest in another reply.

Comment

As a project administrator, I completely disagree with FTDNA giving that option to us, except where ALL project members agree to it, and all potential new project members are made aware of it before or at the time they join.

As far as protecting privacy, I wish all these people would find somewhere else to play. This reason is completely bogus; they could easily display the results with just the kit numbers and not any other identifying information. Unfortunately, I believe that some admins think the project exists for them, rather than they're being an administrator for the good of the project members. I don't know the real motivation behind this particular decision, but I know some folks really get their kicks out of the little bit of power they have from being an admin.
        Last edited by vinnie; 3 June 2014, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X