Links to member projects not working

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Links to member projects not working

Until about a month ago, there were live links on each member's homepage for each of the projects that a member belongs to, but those links are no longer working. This feature was of particular value to me as I have a large number of family in my projects, and it was very easy to check on other projects' updates without having to individually log into each kit. Is this an IT glitch, or was there a policy change implemented by FTDNA? If a change, what was the reasoning?

I just checked an account I manage, which is in several projects. All the links work. Have you tried a different browser, or refreshed your current browser?

Comment

Thank you for the suggestion. I had already tried that, but I just tried again, even using a different computer, and still no live links. Will call on Monday since quirky IT issues have happened before. Glad to know FTDNA didn't change our ability to do that.

Comment

I doubt it is a glitch. What vinnie is referring to is that admin accounts used to be able to use those project links just like a regular account can. There was a recent change that made this list simple text and not links for admin accounts. When I saw it, I just assumed it was a change on purpose, but I never saw any notice about it anywhere.

To see this, just log into the GAP and click on a member kit. Vinnie, if you do contact them, let us know how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by vinnie View Post
          Until about a month ago, there were live links on each member's homepage for each of the projects that a member belongs to, but those links are no longer working. This feature was of particular value to me as I have a large number of family in my projects, and it was very easy to check on other projects' updates without having to individually log into each kit. Is this an IT glitch, or was there a policy change implemented by FTDNA? If a change, what was the reasoning?
          Before when there were links were you able to access those links to projects that even were marked as private? Because before even when the links were active I couldn't log into projects of the kits I manage when logged into GAP even if I granted myself full access to those kits. I figured they did it for privacy reasons but it defeats the purpose of those who manage all their kits from one login if they have to individually login to each kit in order to view projects.

Comment

Interesting. I have a very small project, mainly created so it would be easier to handle most of the accounts I manage. I've logged into my GAP, and found the same situation as vinnie. I suppose I never noticed the disabling of the project links, since I usually use my project to check other things for the accounts.

I did notice one other thing in one account, accessed via the GAP: notifications for posts in two of the projects for that account; but when I tried to view the feed for one, I was not allowed to view it, and it showed "Pending" instead of "Join" or "Member" or whatever it says when you already have joined. The other project feed was accessible with no issue. This account has been in all the listed projects for a long time, so it's not an issue of a recently joined project.
            Last edited by KATM; 30th September 2017, 03:48 PM.

Comment

If project admins restrict access to project members, then other admins trying to access the project through in-common members while logged into GAP will not be able to view the project - I've already encountered a few of those. But if a project's results are publicly accessible, I see no reason for this, if in fact it has to do with privacy concerns.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Contemplator View Post
                Vinnie, if you do contact them, let us know how it goes.
                Will let you all know what I find out.
                Last edited by vinnie; 1st October 2017, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Thank Other Admins

You can thank admins who were making improper use of these links for their removal.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
                    You can thank admins who were making improper use of these links for their removal.
                    Can you elaborate without mentioning admins' or projects' names?

I confirmed with the office that they removed the links due to privacy concerns. I explained that I, when logged into GAP, could already not access the results of any project whose admin had made results restricted to members. I was told to contact groups@ftdna.

Without knowing what has happened to precipitate this change, I tentatively believe that this decision is overkill, and places an unnecessary burden on those of us who are not only admins, but who personally manage several (in my case, A LOT of) kits.

Comment

I have no idea what may have happened to have caused them to make this change. However, I do remember finding out that if an admin were to use one of those links, they could access activity feeds for projects that have that feed for members only. So I guess admins could access posts meant only for members. Therefore it had nothing to do with the member only results as that did not change as you state.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Contemplator View Post
                        I have no idea what may have happened to have caused them to make this change. However, I do remember finding out that if an admin were to use one of those links, they could access activity feeds for projects that have that feed for members only. So I guess admins could access posts meant only for members. Therefore it had nothing to do with the member only results as that did not change as you state.
                        My mother's kit is in the Sicily Project (as is mine), and those admins restricted access. So even though both my mother and I are members, I couldn't access activity feeds when I was logged in as GAP.

Comment

At the least, FTDNA should have notified all admins of this change, and the reason(s) why.

Comment

Originally posted by vinnie View Post
                            Can you elaborate without mentioning admins' or projects' names?
                            I don't have any additional information. This is a trend we have been seeing for many years at FTDNA. Admins make improper use of information FTDNA makes available to us so FTDNA has to take that information away.

It just take a few bad apples.

Comment

Thanks, but vague references to hear-say aren't sufficient to explain what has happened. Anyone in a project - member or admin - can wrongfully use data. People have to understand that unless they want to keep their data completely private, and therefore lose the benefit of comparing and matching to others, they will have to accept the risks associated with DNA testing and making their results available to others.

Comment

Working...
                              X