Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coupons?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Coupons?

    With help from Darren my surname project in now active! Some projects talk about having coupons, where do those come from? I would like to start soliciting people to test and would like to offer them coupons if possible.

    Is it possible to use group funds (that I would deposit myself) to offer a discount to people I know have the surname? Like $XX off of any Y37 or greater test?

  • #2
    The coupons are in the Acitity Feed section.
    I think they will be ending when all projects are moved to the new MyGroups, which was going to be 16 April.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by rivergirl View Post
      The coupons are in the Acitity Feed section.
      I think they will be ending when all projects are moved to the new MyGroups, which was going to be 16 April.
      Yes, FTDNA has confirmed that the coupons are ending on the 16th, even with the automatic migration to myGroups postponed to some later date.

      W. (Mr.)

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by JMSaxby View Post
        Is it possible to use group funds (that I would deposit myself) to offer a discount to people I know have the surname? Like $XX off of any Y37 or greater test?
        Yes, but...

        There used to be an intuitive, elegant way to do this. Unfortunately, it failed catastrophically around Christmas, charging people's credit cards large amounts of money (multiple times!) without actually ordering any tests. FTDNA may have fixed this method, but I am very skeptical about using it again. I would have to try it out myself on small amounts of money before I ever suggest it again to any project member.

        The more awkward and/or risky alternatives are:
        1) You put some money in your project fund, and offer a subsidy (e.g., $25). A potential project member who is interested contacts you. You order a kit for the person as "pay later." The person then contributes his share of the cost to your project. You then use the project fund to pay for his test.
        2) You offer to handle everything for the potential project member, including payment. He then reimburses you via PayPal.

        Comment


        • #5
          Evidently my group was approved to late to receive any daily coupons. I need to purchase a kit for someone that has agreed to do a Y37 + FF for me. Is it possible to get a coupon code from another group admin?

          Julia
          [email protected]

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by JMSaxby View Post
            Evidently my group was approved to late to receive any daily coupons. I need to purchase a kit for someone that has agreed to do a Y37 + FF for me. Is it possible to get a coupon code from another group admin?

            Julia
            [email protected]
            All the coupon codes have expired.

            Is there going to be another promotion anytime soon? I have no idea.

            Some highly speculative dates for a possible one day promotion are
            • DNA Day, the 25th of April
            • Mother's Day, the 10th of May
            • Father's Day, the 21st of June
            No promotions over next two months is also possible...

            W. (Mr.)

            Comment

            Working...
            X