"The IT department is working on it"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The IT department is working on it"

How many times have we heard that answer from FTDNA? And how long has it taken the IT department to fix an issue?

To the IT department, I am not blaming you. I know you are very competent and can do your job if you are not bogged down.

I blame FTDNA for not providing sufficient staff to the IT department. FTDNA is making a big mistake by not beefing up the IT department. FTDNA has a major competitor in 23 & Me and needs to compete. FTDNA - hire more IT staff!

A gedcom fix was promised long ago and that has not happened. It is not a browser problem when the gedcoms that some people have submitted do not display place names and dates. It is a problem with the FTDNA program. Why in the world FTDNA did not just use the format that Y-search has is beyond me. Whatever, the problem has not been fixed. It is a major problem that people cannot read submitted gedcoms and it should be a priority for FTDNA to fix that, but no.

Administrators can no longer access the match lists of their members (when I express myself so awkwardly, it is because if I use apostrophes my posts are cut off). It is an IT problem I am told. With the Affy results we could do it so it should not be a problem to fix it. Just re-program to the way the Affy matches were filed before, as accessible files in Excel format and not as raw data.

A cudo, it is nice that one can access common match lists of matches one has assigned as having a known relationship. But a suggestion. Why not make that function available without having to assign a "known" relation? It would not be compromising privacy as the matches are known to both parties but just not known as matches in common.

"The IT department is working on it"

I've been hearing that story for about two years, ever since I first complained that Null425 is treated by FTDNA's algorithms as a change from 12 to zero. It is NOT a null but, rather, a recLOH where, usually, a 10c overwrites a 12t. Therefore it should be reported as a change from the normal 12 to 10--a two-step mutation, or since it is a recLOH, a change of one.
    Last edited by Paul Burns; 12th June 2011, 12:41 PM. Reason: To make it clearer

Comment

While I agree with you Peacock, the addition of more IT staff would probably result in higher prices for the testing platforms that are available. Every new hire eats into the margin of profit, no matter how little and insignificant it may seem. They might be paid $10 per hour, but they might also be earning health care, etc...

Perhaps FTDNA could consider an efficiency study? Perception is everything to the customer, and if they are not effectively communicated with or felt important, they will go elsewhere or decide not to test at all. I know that I have suspended my testing with FTDNA for similar reasons.

Comment

Just as too many cooks can spoil the stew, too many IT staff members can make a mess of things also.

My guess is that the problem is more a matter of priorities. What is important to me may not be what is important to the powers that be.

I'll bet the IT staff members are making a lot more than $10 per hour!

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
          Just as too many cooks can spoil the stew, too many IT staff members can make a mess of things also.

My guess is that the problem is more a matter of priorities. What is important to me may not be what is important to the powers that be.

I'll bet the IT staff members are making a lot more than $10 per hour!
          I hope the IT staff is doing better than 10 dollars a day, pay wise. If not, that might be the problem.

As to priorities, the powers that be should listen to the customers or they may lose in the competition for customers.

FTDNA has been fiddling alot with Population Finder results for eaxmple. Just how valuable is that? Seriously? Most people who join FTDNA want to find or to connect with ancestors and cousins. Meanwhile the gedcom function, though somewhat fixed, is still not working properly. That is a very important function to have working at a genetic genealogy site.

Comment

Originally posted by Peacock100 View Post
            I hope the IT staff is doing better than 10 dollars a day, pay wise. If not, that might be the problem.

As to priorities, the powers that be should listen to the customers or they may lose in the competition for customers.

FTDNA has been fiddling alot with Population Finder results for eaxmple. Just how valuable is that? Seriously? Most people who join FTDNA want to find or to connect with ancestors and cousins. Meanwhile the gedcom function, though somewhat fixed, is still not working properly. That is a very important function to have working at a genetic genealogy site.
            This has been my biggest hinderance in recruiting- pitching FTDNA/or any testing company as being able to confirm relationships within a meaningful time frame. The fact that I am L21+ is really only significant...?? This is difficult to sell. I have had one member take advantage of the sale on str upgrade, which to me is far more meaningful. While deep clade testing is a part of the big picture, most people aren't interested in it.

I do hope that the IT staff is making more than $10 per hour- just throwing out numbers!

Comment

Working...
            X