• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• billdickason
    replied
    Levels on Gedcom

Just got this today, 12/14, from FTDNA.
    Contrary to what they say, there is no "All" on the dropdown for levels. You have to click on the last arrow at the bottom to show more levels after 9.
    I never had a problem with the old gedcom display.
    Would be nice if they implement an option to reorient the display of the gedcom.
    ================================================== ========
    "Family Tree DNA upgraded the GEDCOM viewer for several reasons that our customers brought to our attention. One of the main issues with the original GEDCOM viewer was the actual size of the GEDCOM and navigating through the GEDCOM. We found that the GEDCOMs were being displayed much too large and viewing them this way was actually counter-productive, as you had to scroll around the GEDCOM to view other names. This is why with the new GEDCOM viewer, levels are implemented so that only the individuals whose information is of interest is displayed. There is an option in the Levels drop down menu to view ALL levels if the GEDCOM has more than 9 levels. We also added the ability to view direct lines only, showing the direct paternal or maternal lineage.

Also, we have placed the name of individual of whose GEDCOM information is being displayed at the top of the GEDCOM tree so that our customers may more easily locate the primary individual in the GEDCOM. I understand how this can be confusing as most Family Trees are oriented the complete opposite. I will submit a request for review from the IT staff to see if there is a way to add an option to re-orient the GEDCOM so that the primary individual is at the bottom and the parents/grand parents/great grand parents are listed above the primary individual."

Leave a comment:

• Peacock100
    replied
    Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
    I find the new GEDCOM display much easier to use.

As for comparing GAP 2.0 and Dashboard I believe that if you'll look at those Dashboard message that you want deleted you'll find that there were MANY problems with it during its lifetime. Do you think that may be why they got rid of it?

Yes there are problems with GAP 2.0, but I'll bet most of them are resolved in a month or two.
    Gedcom function is better but still not fixed as to place names for all users.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Barrett
    replied
    I find the new GEDCOM display much easier to use.

As for comparing GAP 2.0 and Dashboard I believe that if you'll look at those Dashboard message that you want deleted you'll find that there were MANY problems with it during its lifetime. Do you think that may be why they got rid of it?

Yes there are problems with GAP 2.0, but I'll bet most of them are resolved in a month or two.

Leave a comment:

• billdickason
    replied
    Only 9 levels for GEDCOM

Now I notice that people with greater than 9 levels can only display 9 levels.
    I used to think that the dashboard was bad, but GAP 2.0 permeates everything.

Leave a comment:

• billdickason
    replied
    Levels on the GEDCOM display with GAP 2.0

OK, I see now that you must select a level on the gedcom to get the earliest ancestors. Why on earth a default of level 4? Why a display from myself downward to my earlier ancestors? Why not a default of 9 levels? Who is designing this stuff? Apparently not anyone that does any genealogy.

Leave a comment:

• billdickason
    started a topic GEDCOM and GAP 2.0

GEDCOM and GAP 2.0

Has anyone noticed that their GEDCOMs are no longer complete and that it is backasswards?
    Several of my early ancestors have been lopped off, the listing goes from the bottom to me at the top, this seems strange. It used to go from me to the right and up.
    GAP 2.0 is getting to be a real pain in the arse.
Working...
X