X testing ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X testing ?

I am a male and my haplo group is I2b1a. I would like to do a dna test on my maternal side. My question is this, what would be more informative, having myself tested or to have my Mother's DNA tested. Thanks for your input.

You seem to imply that you are interested in the mtdna test (that is, the female line, mother-gmother etc.). Not the X chromosome.

All children have the same mtdna as their mother, so it shouldn't make a difference. In theory, there is an extremely remote chance that there is a mutation between you and your mother, but that is unlikely. So you can just test yourself.

(As you are male, your X chromosome comes from your mother. However, her X chromosome is a mixture of her father and her mothers's. Because the X chromosome mixes up across generations, you cannot define haplogroups as you do for the Y chromosome or the mtdna)

cacio

Comment

Originally posted by cacio
      You seem to imply that you are interested in the mtdna test (that is, the female line, mother-gmother etc.). Not the X chromosome.
      (As you are male, your X chromosome comes from your mother. However, her X chromosome is a mixture of her father and her mothers's. Because the X chromosome mixes up across generations, you cannot define haplogroups as you do for the Y chromosome or the mtdna)

cacio
      This may be a bit misleading. The mother has two X Chromosomes, one from her mother and the one from her father that "permitted " her to be female. Each of her children, regardless of sex, will get one X Chromosome from her, which will be a random (approximately 50-50) mix of her two X Chromosomes.
      Floyd Oakes

Comment

Working...
      X