Haplogroup Tests Nomernclature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haplogroup Tests Nomernclature

I have been reviewing my project's SNP tests and found that the following terms have been used by FTDNA: "Y-HAP - Backbone", "DeepSNP - [haplogroup designation]", and "Deep Clade (DCLADE - [haplogroup designation])". Deep clade is probably a recent reformulation of deep SNP. Backbone consists of only one mutation and is probably discontinued, while the other two go as far as possible.

Am I correct?
    Last edited by Itzhak Epstein; 28 May 2008, 01:13 AM.

Originally posted by Itzhak Epstein
    I have been reviewing my project's SNP tests and found that the following terms have been used by FTDNA: "Y-HAP - Backbone", "DeepSNP - [haplogroup designation]", and "Deep Clade (DCLADE - [haplogroup designation])". Deep clade is probably a recent reformulation of deep SNP. Backbone consists of only one mutation and is probably discontinued, while the other two go as far as possible.

Am I correct?
    Backbone can not and could never be ordered. FTdna provided the backbone test fee of charge in case your haplogroup could not be predicted based on STR values. As such not everyone has a backbone performed, only those with an unreliable prediction of haplogroup.

Comment

Originally posted by VanLaar
      Backbone can not and could never be ordered.
      That's not true. Before the SNP Assurance program was established, some people were left with ambiguous haplogroup predictions even at the backbone level, and they could only join the Genographic Project after ordering the backbone haplogroup test.

Also, FTDNA does not offer deep-clade tests for some haplogroups, but they do offer optional backbone tests for those haplogroups. For example, there's no deep-clade test for "E" (xE1b1b), but people predicted to be just E can order a backbone test for confirmation.

Elise
      Last edited by efgen; 2 June 2008, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X