Test failures?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lgmayka
    Yes, the Polish Project has failed tests from batches 225, 230, 231, 232, 233, 234, 235, and 236.
    The Polish Project now has notices of "Your B swab is being run now" from batches 225, 230, 231, 232, 233, and 235. FTDNA's documentation explains that it resorts to the B swab after at least 2 failures on the original swab.

Our project also has the regular "Your sample is being rerun now" from batches 230 and 236.
    Last edited by lgmayka; 18 February 2008, 10:38 AM.

Comment

What, exactly, do you mean by "failures?" Are you talking about the lack of any matches? If so, I'm afraid you've been very mislead abut genetic genealogy. There are no guarantees of any matches at all. I am the founder of an FTDNA surname project, myself, and I am still waiting (after six years) for my own match. I don't, however, consider that a "failure." It simply means that no one from my line has joined the project, yet.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by GaryR50
        What, exactly, do you mean by "failures?" Are you talking about the lack of any matches?
        No, a test failure means that FTDNA was unable to get any reliable result at all.

Here are my project's current test failures. Mention of a batch means that at least one test in that batch falls into the listed category. As you can imagine, sample exhaustion is the most distressing situation, because it requires additional active participation (and postage!) from the project member.
        ---------------------------------------------------------

Test failures have exhausted all samples, customer must send new set of samples:
        225, 227, 231

Test failures have exhausted first ('A') swab, now running test on B swab:
        230, 235

Test failure on first ('A') swab, now re-testing:
        230, 236, 238

No test result by due date, no explanation:
        238, 239
        Last edited by lgmayka; 3 March 2008, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Good Rubs Help Provide Good Results

I have a total of 10 kits with results pending. None of them are past the current due date. One has gone to swab B and that is for a National Geographic kit.

Every time someone orders a kit I send them a message telling them how important it is to collect a good sample and suggest that they visit http://www.davedorsey.com/dna.html . It seem to me that good samples provide good results. Of course I couldn't do that with the National Geographic kit.

I have seen no reason to think the problem has anything to do with FTDNA or the labs.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Barrett
            I have seen no reason to think the problem has anything to do with FTDNA or the labs.
            All of the overdue tests are upgrades, not initial orders. This means that FTDNA successfully extracted DNA before, but is now unable to do so again.

Never before have I seen so many tests so very late. Frankly, I suspect that in FTDNA's move to new headquarters, a refrigerator was left unpowered too long, and some samples spoiled. There is simply no other explanation for test failures on swab after swab, across so many project members.

By the way, your logic is flawed in any case. FTDNA is fully responsible for providing sample collection instructions to its customers. You are essentially suggesting that those instructions are insufficient.
            Last edited by lgmayka; 3 March 2008, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Frankly, I suspect that in FTDNA's move to new headquarters, a refrigerator was left unpowered too long, and some samples spoiled. There is simply no other explanation for test failures on swab after swab, across so many project members.
              As a former computer programmer myself, I have also considered another partial explanation. FTDNA's web site may have been programmed to automatically step through a series of messages, over time, whenever a test is late. The messages automatically progress from "re-test" to "B swab" to "C/D kit", regardless of what might actually be causing the delay. This obviates the need for manual update, but also means that the messages may not be a true reflection of the delay's cause.

So for example, the delay may be due to an ordinary order backlog, in which a strategic decision has been made to give new orders priority over upgrades.

Comment

Say What?

By the way, your logic is flawed in any case. FTDNA is fully responsible for providing sample collection instructions to its customers. You are essentially suggesting that those instructions are insufficient.
                Reinforcing a good practice is flawed logic??? You are suggesting that everyone reads and understands all directions and then follows them. Now that is a JOKE.

You are happy thinking FTDNA messed up. I am happy knowing they didn't mess up any of my kits. I'm out of this topic.

Comment

Working...
                X