DNA Storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNA Storage

Hello, hope everyone had a great holiday season.

I started the Harrell DNA project back in August, and since that time have had a lot of people who cite cost as a delaying factor for joining the project. Yet at the same time, every day that passes is a day in which their DNA may be lost.

Has familytreedna considered offering a low cost option for people to simply send in their sample for later testing, or is this cost-prohibitive?

If not possible, what sort of DNA preserving storage can be used? Does it have to be a liquid storage modality?

I have seen several low cost "card storage" modalities, with the FTA preservative. Is this acceptable for FTDNA to use? Thanks for your response.

Kevin Harrell
    Harrell DNA Project Coordinator

Best suggestion is probably to have the family members who have budgetary constraints take the 12-marker Y test only, which is the least expensive. Then the dna is stored against future Y and mt dna tests. Cannot answer your technical questions. Max?

Comment

Yep, currently what I am doing

Yep, currently I am recommending families to pool their money and just have one member tested. Some are unable to do this, however, and also it would be nice to know if there is a cheap storage method so that I could ask all of my relatives to allow me to store their DNA for possible future tests.

Kevin Harrell

Comment

Working...
      X