adoptee joining project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adoptee joining project

I have had a request from the son of an adoptee to join out surname project. He matches one of our members 65/67, but does not have a paper trail proving that his father was really of our surname.

How have other admins handled this situation? I am inclined to let him join. 65/67 is a pretty good match.

Thanks,

Originally posted by Dawn Ellis
    I have had a request from the son of an adoptee to join out surname project. He matches one of our members 65/67, but does not have a paper trail proving that his father was really of our surname.

How have other admins handled this situation? I am inclined to let him join. 65/67 is a pretty good match.

Thanks,
    I would be inclined to let him join as well. A 65/67 match is very close. I'm guessing this person knows the town where he was born and the date of his birth. Has he checked that town for Ellises?

Comment

I believe he was born in New York...

Comment

Originally posted by Dawn Ellis
        I believe he was born in New York...
        But where was his mother nine months (more or less) before that?

I would let him join. If he hasn't done so he should also contact FTDNA about being added to the adoptee project.

Comment

I've allowed a few adoptees into my project who later turned out to have multiple matches to other members, so, I would not exclude someone who doesn't have the surname. We've also got three or four members who all match to Boyds, even though that's not the project surname. They are still trying to figure out how this happened. One of them doesn't have the project surname and the other two or three do. You never know.

Gary

Comment

adoptees joining project

A few years ago I was contacted by someone with a name very different from"Whitney" who said that he believed that his great-grandfather was a Whitney, and that due to two generations of abandonments and adoptions, the surname was different. Still, he wanted to find out if he was related. He was British, and most of our project members at that time were from either the US or Canada and could trace back to three known immigrants. However, he tested 12 -- not a likely match, and, on my advice because his line was of necessity separated from the North American lines by 300+ years, he tested to 37. He was ultimately close enough that it appears he was a member one of the British branches of the family. So give it a try, but take the number of alleles out to at least 37 unless the adoption was from a recent family member. The gentleman has since died, but it was nice that we were able to confirm a probable connection and the family oral history for him.

Comment

non-paternal event

We dont have an adoption record on one of my ancestors but a non paternal event happened somewhere. Our surname is Hood but we match Gallager so we are in both Gallagher and Hood surname projects.

Comment

Sorry

Sorry- did not realize tie was the administraor forum!!! Didn't mean to post

Comment

Working...
                X