Limited Membership

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limited Membership

As you are aware FTDNA limits membership in the Projects to those with FTDNA test results.
    This is how I skirted the issue, by posting the following on the Results page:

"The following Lineages are from test results posted by Sorenson Labs at: http://www.smgf.org/ychromosome/search.jspx

LINEAGE S1 (Tested with SMGF). This guest member is descended from the well known Thomas Oakes born about 1622 and resided in Cambridge, Middlesex, MA. His Haplotype can be viewed at Ysearch (http://www.ysearch.org/?uid= ) ID# AMZP9.

LINEAGE S2 (Tested with SMGF). This guest member is descended from George Augustus Oakes, born 1864, Marlettes, Sanilac, MI. His Haplotype can be viewed at Ysearch (http://www.ysearch.org/?uid= ) ID# SFGYM."

Requesting forgiveness is sometimes easier than asking permission. However, I do not believe this compromises the integrity of the FTDNA data presented, since it does not appear on the Y Results page and is made part of the Project Administrator's interpretive analysis of Results.

Floyd Oakes
    Co-Administrator OAK Family Project
    I1a*
    K1a
    Ysearch: NTX73

I noted that this thread dates from 2005, but, FTDNA certainly does allow members from other testing companies to join their projects. I've had numerous members whose results have come from other DNA providers.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by GaryR50
      I noted that this thread dates from 2005, but, FTDNA certainly does allow members from other testing companies to join their projects. I've had numerous members whose results have come from other DNA providers.

Gary
      I think that is true if they buy the conversion kit at FTDNA. Like the ones for Oxford Ancestors and Ancestry.
      I dont think FTDNA have a conversion kit for SMGF results, and Im sure they will not put the results in their database without one.

Y search is available for free.

Comment

Originally posted by GaryR50

Gary
        I notice that in your project you state when a person has been tested at SMGF and "are not from FTDNA", and give the link to SMGF.
        Did FTDNA allow this person tested at SMGF to join your project via FTDNA?

As your Y results are posted on your personal webpage, its very easy for you to place all the Y results from any company into your result chart.
        If you had been using FTDNA project webpages for your project would you have been able to do so? No.

fmoakes has his project on a FTDNA project webpage, and the only Y Results shown are from the FTDNA members of the project and/or those who have paid for a conversion kit to FTDNA.

Comment

Having Buffer problems on FTDNA.

I'm having problems with FTDNA's new load.
          When I copy my post to my spell checker (before sending)
          I then paste it back and it chops off half of my text. thanks, darroll

Comment

Working...
          X