Stealing customers from FTDNA through deception

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Judy
    Floyd, I compared the marker results from GeneBase with others from his (GeneBase predicted) haplogroup on Y-search, and there were some atypical markers. I am not confident they are correct, yet it is possible that he is a "rare bird." I contacted GeneBase and after some time I finally heard back from them. They said their test results cannot be compared to results from other companies. That made me suspect; the reputable testing companies have public data bases where customers can upload their data to compare with people who tested with other companies. In the last couple of days, I have seen posts from the International Society of Genetic Genealogists (ISOGG) that some administrators of large surname projects are finding that GeneBase test results on certain markers do not agree with results from other companies and GeneBase is not willing to publicize the conversions necessary to compare results with other companies. This is creating a problem for administrators with large groups who are trying to calculate modal values.

The gentleman who I invited to join my project but tested with GeneBase by mistake is going to re-test with FTDNA because he wants to be able to join geographical and haplogroup projects at FTDNA. It will be interesting to see if the FTDNA results are different from the GeneBase results.
    Judy
    Hi Judy,

If you don't mind, I would appreciate if you could please let us know about your project member who tested with Genebase when he gets his FTDNA re-test results as to the allele differences from one lab to the other.

In our E3b project we're interested in confirming the conversion values for a particular haplotype that also tested with Genebase. Thanks.

Victor

Comment

Originally posted by Victor
      Hi Judy,

If you don't mind, I would appreciate if you could please let us know about your project member who tested with Genebase when he gets his FTDNA re-test results as to the allele differences from one lab to the other.

In our E3b project we're interested in confirming the conversion values for a particular haplotype that also tested with Genebase. Thanks.

Victor
      Sure Victor, I'll do that. In the meantime, I saw a post on ISOGG by Adrian Williams who says to convert GeneBase results to make them comparable with FTDNA results, he adds 1 to the GeneBase result for DYS 455, adds 1 to the Genebase result for 458 and subtracts 1 from the GeneBase result for GATA H4
      Judy

Comment

...he adds 1 to the GeneBase result for DYS 455, adds 1 to the Genebase result for 458 and subtracts 1 from the GeneBase result for GATA H4
        Judy
        Thanks Judy, this is immensely helpful. But I can't help but wonder how many GeneBase results are/were uploaded to YSearch with incorrect (i.e. non-converted) values.

Rob

Comment

Hi Judy,

Victor
          I just saw this post on ISOGG:

"Posted by: "International Society of Genetic Genealog" [email protected] isogg05
          Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:18 pm (PST)
          With much thanks and gratitude going to David Wilson and Terry Barton, ISOGG was able to open a line of communication to GeneBase via its parent company, GeneTrack. The company will be compiling a nomenclature comparison table to allow for comparisons to other companies."

Judy

Comment

Originally posted by rbsvnski
            Thanks Judy, this is immensely helpful. But I can't help but wonder how many GeneBase results are/were uploaded to YSearch with incorrect (i.e. non-converted) values.

Rob
            Right. I don't know what to do about that. I adjusted the marker values for the gentleman whose results I uploaded to Y-search, but I doubt anyone else did. On the positive side though, there don't seem to be many people on Y-search who tested with GeneBase.
            Judy

Comment

I just saw this post on ISOGG:

"Posted by: "International Society of Genetic Genealog" [email protected] isogg05
              Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:18 pm (PST)
              With much thanks and gratitude going to David Wilson and Terry Barton, ISOGG was able to open a line of communication to GeneBase via its parent company, GeneTrack. The company will be compiling a nomenclature comparison table to allow for comparisons to other companies."

Judy
              Many thanks, Judy. I'll be monitoring ISOGG's posts.

Victor

Comment

Hi Judy,

Victor
                Victor, I got the 37 marker results back for the project member who had previously tested with GeneBase. FTDNA reported two of the markers differently.

DYS #455: FTDNA = 11 and GeneBase = 10

GATA H4: FTDNA = 9 and GeneBase = 10

Hope this helps.
                Judy
                Last edited by Judy; 5 February 2007, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X