Security breach? Spamming emails from an ftdna member

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security breach? Spamming emails from an ftdna member

I am now getting very concerned about an ftdna member who is sending spamming emails to hundreds (if not thousands) of people with very tenuous connections, wanting people to connect their family trees, send him Gedcoms etc. I have had contact with people from several other surname projects who have had the same emails. This guy is sending emails that in at least some cases also contain a file with hundreds of other email addresses in (totally breaching privacy) and has apparently been banned from GEDMATCH, but is also using Geni.com to send his spam. I believe he is now also harvesting contacts using ftdna contact lists as the person in my project who has received his email is not on GEDMATCH or any of the other sites, but does have a 1GD match with him at 12 markers, R-M269. The only other project my person is linked to is the IrelandYDNA project. I can't access a kit number, but his name is Lawrence gregory smith (Sweeney)

I believe this is a breach to the behavior of a FTDNA customer or project admin. Send a copy of one of his messages to the email address for FTDNA Groups. In case you don't have it I'm sending
    it to you in a private message.

Comment

One can also report to Google about the google doc contain emails by opening google doc link and clicking on the 3 dots in upper right.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
        I believe this is a breach to the behavior of a FTDNA customer or project admin. Send a copy of one of his messages to the email address for FTDNA Groups. In case you don't have it I'm sending
        it to you in a private message.
        Thanks. Have replied.

Comment

Since I wrote that first message, I have had another email exactly the same to another project member who is a 1GD match at 12 markers (RM269) and who also only has their results and contact details on ftdna. Both these people are in my surname project as well as the Ireland YDNA project.

Comment

Working...
          X