Individual SNP upgrades?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Individual SNP upgrades?

Over the last 2 years more Y Haplogroup H participants have ordered the Big Y test, not as many as I had hoped for, but it is a good start because it is helping grow the H tree in positive ways.

My question is, how do I convince FTDNA that certain H SNP's are worthy to be made as an individual SNP upgrade?

Just as an example, there are 17 of us Lock / Locke participants Y DNA tested of my family tree and I am the only one Big Y 500 tested, it makes no sense to ask the other 16 participants to Big Y test because of the cost of that test. But it does make sense to me if my terminal SNP were made available as a single SNP upgrade which is far more affordable and I am sure I could convince most of my cousins to upgrade by doing the individual SNP upgrade if it were made available.

I fully understand Y Haplogroup H* is sorely under represented in the FTDNA database, but H* participants have so few SNP upgrade options as it is and not every participant can afford to do the Big Y test as it is beyond their financial means. But most could afford individual SNP upgrades. So I guess what I am asking is, how does FTDNA determine if it is worth the cost to make an SNP available as an individual SNP upgrade? And is there anything I can do as an project Admin to push that along to get more individual SNP upgrades made available?

Donald, have you tried sending a message to the FTDNA project support email address. If all else fails you might check to see if YSEQ will test for the desired SNP. I know that won't show up in members results on FTDNA pages but at least you would know and you could add something to the project web page.

Comment

Hi Jim, in the past yes I had contacted FTDNA asking if they could add an SNP to the individual SNP upgrade list, and I got told I needed to provide them with the starting point and ending point and that they would look in to it. While I Admin the Y Haplogroup H project, I don't know that kind of details, I presumed all I had to do was provide them with the SNP and that they would look that information up since it is they who discovered that SNP in the first place.

I wouldn't think it would be that difficult, but apparently me being a total novice at SNP's and not knowing the information needed to get the ball rolling is what is holding things up?
      Just as an example, I would like to see H-PH124 added to the list of individual SNP upgrades, but apparently just saying H - PH124 isn't enough information for the help desk, twice they have responded to my request asking for more information "starting point - ending point" type of info and I haven't a clue what that means.

Comment

PH124
        From YBrowse.org: chrY:6,788,511..6,788,511
        From YFull.com: Hg19 position: 6656552; Hg38 postion: 6788511
        Ancestral value: C
        Derived value: G

Comment

PH124 is available at YSeq.net: https://www.yseq.net/product_info.ph...345d9e4a1b325d

Comment

Working...
          X