SNP ? Result

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SNP ? Result

When a member has a ? result for a named variant due to not enough passes, is it possible to get the variant checked again to get a confirmation or does the member need to pay for a single SNP test?

In most cases, named variants do not have tests at FTDNA.

You have a good point, FTDNA does not offer a nice solution for such scenarios.

Mr. W.

Comment

It depends on what you want. You don't need all SNPs of a specific haplogroup to belong to it. Of course if this SNP is needed to figure out the next downstream level, you could try to get it tested where available. For some, the SNP may simply be in a region not well tested by the Big Y (assuming you were using that data). FTDNA may not have it available to test individually. Do you need this SNP tested or was it just curiosity? I have some kits with SNPs that are just predicted and not confirmed positive. However, due to where they fall in the haplogroup, I don't need to be sure about those.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Contemplator View Post
        It depends on what you want. You don't need all SNPs of a specific haplogroup to belong to it. Of course if this SNP is needed to figure out the next downstream level, you could try to get it tested where available. For some, the SNP may simply be in a region not well tested by the Big Y (assuming you were using that data). FTDNA may not have it available to test individually. Do you need this SNP tested or was it just curiosity? I have some kits with SNPs that are just predicted and not confirmed positive. However, due to where they fall in the haplogroup, I don't need to be sure about those.
        Part anticipating a question from members, part curiosity. I know it can affect the Block Tree where a testers block does have this situation for a couple of SNP's. Therefore the SNP's do not appear in their block, but in another branch.

Comment

Well the SNPs in the block won't be split into separate blocks unless others are found to be negative for some and positive for some. If testers do not show enough reads in those areas, there is no change to the block.

Comment

Originally posted by GlennL View Post
            When a member has a ? result for a named variant due to not enough passes, is it possible to get the variant checked again to get a confirmation or does the member need to pay for a single SNP test?
            You can effectively see the BAM file by clicking on the SNP name. All the reads are then displayed and you can then make an assessment as whether you want to accept that SNP or not.

Comment

Working...
            X