Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Distant Ancestor - why don't we force this field to be completed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elistariel
    replied
    Perhaps they simply do not know.
    Families don't always pass down information, and many people may not know how to find out. I didn't know past my grandparents' names until I got online. Even then, results aren't guaranteed, that is if you manage to find anything at all.

Leave a comment:

• ntxcousin
    replied
    Originally posted by glee
    I am the co-admin of the Lee surname project. One point of frustration I have is getting test participants to enter information to display about their most distant known ancestor. Without this information, it is very difficult to guide other participants to see if similar lines have or are being tested, and this field seems like a very useful bit of information for other researchers, but also to those who look at FTDNA from the outside in consideration of joining a project, and would like to see how many surnames from a geographic area and time have been tested.

We're not opening up privacy issues here that I can see, since we are still protecting all user information from the outside, and only make connections as an admin when and if people desire.

Two questions for fellow admins and also for FTDNA:

(a) have you had any success in getting your participants to add this information?

(b) why isn't this field made mandatory, or at least strongly encouraged? The email that we receive as admins when results are posted reminds us to get them to contribute to Ysearch - why should we and they also be reminded to fill out this field?

Let's not forget that DNA testing is a tool in genealogy research. And without some basic lineage facts to look at in the research. This is especially compounded when one considers alot of the folks I've worked with on DNA testing are getting up in age and may not be with us much longer. It sure would be great on a 43 marker match, with the same haplogroup, to at least be able to have the researcher start looking at John Lee, b. 1786, Union County, SC - it gives them something to look at.

Any thoughts on this welcome.

Gary Lee
    [email protected]

I've had good success with one group I admin. Another group I'm a member of hasn't had good results getting pedigrees.

Leave a comment:

• Piobaireachd
    replied
    Originally posted by glee
    I am the co-admin of the Lee surname project. One point of frustration I have is getting test participants to enter information to display about their most distant known ancestor. Without this information, it is very difficult to guide other participants to see if similar lines have or are being tested, and this field seems like a very useful bit of information for other researchers, but also to those who look at FTDNA from the outside in consideration of joining a project, and would like to see how many surnames from a geographic area and time have been tested.

We're not opening up privacy issues here that I can see, since we are still protecting all user information from the outside, and only make connections as an admin when and if people desire.

(a) have you had any success in getting your participants to add this information?

(b) why isn't this field made mandatory, or at least strongly encouraged? The email that we receive as admins when results are posted reminds us to get them to contribute to Ysearch - why should we and they also be reminded to fill out this field?

Let's not forget that DNA testing is a tool in genealogy research. And without some basic lineage facts to look at in the research. This is especially compounded when one considers alot of the folks I've worked with on DNA testing are getting up in age and may not be with us much longer. It sure would be great on a 43 marker match, with the same haplogroup, to at least be able to have the researcher start looking at John Lee, b. 1786, Union County, SC - it gives them something to look at.

Gary Lee
    [email protected]

Perhaps it is similar to my case. I'm adopted and have no clue who any of my ancestors are. I could fill in the blank with a name, but it would have absolutely nothing to do with my blood line.

I believe that would skew your data much more than just leaving it blank.

Leave a comment:

• glee
    started a topic Distant Ancestor - why don't we force this field to be completed?

Distant Ancestor - why don't we force this field to be completed?

Gary Lee
    [email protected]
Working...
X