Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Distant Ancestor - why don't we force this field to be completed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jablair
    Even Jim, who does not require ancestral information, requires potential participants to first come through him.
    The ones I always turn away are those who want to join because their great great grandmother on their maternal line was a Barrett. They want to order a Y-DNA test to learn about their Barrett line.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Barrett
      The ones I always turn away are those who want to join because their great great grandmother on their maternal line was a Barrett. They want to order a Y-DNA test to learn about their Barrett line.
      I've also had that problem. If you're lucky you can help them find a direct male descendant of the surname project to provide a DNA sample. But if they can't, you at least saved them the price of a test that is not going to give them the answers they're looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by jablair
        I think FTDNA is walking a fine line between trying to maximize sales and keeping Project Administrators happy.

When FTDNA first added the ability to join a project directly, bypassing the Administrator, there was an uproar by many PAs like myself. FTDNA quickly agreed to give each PA the right to decide how participants could their project.

FTDNA does list all the Geographical Projects along with the Y-Surname and Mt-Lineage Projects. But even some of these Geographical Projects require PA approval before joining.
        There's no way to make everyone happy, but the current system makes most people pretty happy, and that's a big plus.

My approach is to leave the doors wide open (i.e. not require permission), but to be careful about the data that I display. For the Italy dual-geographical project, I only show y-DNA results for folks who make an attempt at demonstrating Italian heritage on the paternal line, and only show mtDNA results for folks with maternal lines in Italy .

I've got one or two people (out of 85) who haven't shown either lineage, but it is a lot easier (read "less confrontational") to exclude their data from the results than try to kick them out of the project. My opinion, which admittedly isn't worth much, is that this approach gives the best of both worlds: it minimizes the risk that an eligble person avoids project while still protecting the integrity of the data we display.

Of course, I'm not getting dozens of new members each week either. That'd make it a little harder to monitor, I guess.

Comment

Distant Ancestor

Hello Humans,

Bio-Statistics is a fantastic science... but HUMANS are just not perfect!
          We all have our history on this forum... but let's not forget what we are... survivors on this planet.

A good day to you all.
          Nas

Comment

Working...
          X