How Many Administrators?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Many Administrators?

Does anyone know how many group administrators there are? I guess this would be the same as asking how many unique surname projects there are.

Thanks.

I personally admin 3 projects and I know people who admin more, so there's no sure way to determine the number of group admins based on the number of projects. Some groups also have co-administrators, while others don't.

Also, FTDNA hosts more than just surname projects -- there are also geographical, haplogroup and heritage projects.

FTDNA's homepage says they have almost 3500 surname projects, but I don't know if they really mean surname projects only or if they actually mean all projects.

Comment

There are also projects that have no administrator. Well, not exactly. But there are a host of projects at World Families dot net that have no one from the families administrating. There are two Barton individuals that administrate for any project that does not have a volunteer yet. I imagine it keeps them very busy.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your reply. I guess what I am doing amounts to poor man's market research. I am a website developer and was thinking about creating some website templates that are better than what FTDNA offers to DNA Project Administrators. Problem is that I am not sure I will be able to get enough customers. If I sold the product to 10% of the DNA Projects at FTDNA, that would only get me about 350 customers. If I charged $35/year for the service, I could gross around 12K. I'm trying to decide if it is worth the effort. It would be lots of fun, but I have to decide if the money and "fun-factor" would justify the effort.

I guess I should also look at what World Families is doing...

Does anyone have any opinions as to whether something like this would sell?

Comment

World Families has a web editor tool that allows the admins to cut and paste their results and patriarch pages from Excel or Word, so it's pretty flexible. I do all my maintenance off-line and just cut and paste when I have an updated version of my pages.

I've been playing around with links too, which you can store right in your spreadsheet, so these can be cut and pasted too. I didn't like the format that WFN used for their patriarch page. It was hard to maintain and hard to read. So instead I created a spreadsheet to store this info off-line. You can check it out by clicking on my Sheets link below in my signature.

So to answer your question, for a person like me who doesn't mind playing around and is somewhat technical, I don't think I'd pay for templates. Like you, I think it's fun to play around with, but I'm not really a wesite developer.
          However, some admins might like the idea, if they don't want to take the time to mess around in the details.

Comment

Originally posted by TSBinLV
            Thanks everyone for your reply. I guess what I am doing amounts to poor man's market research. I am a website developer and was thinking about creating some website templates that are better than what FTDNA offers to DNA Project Administrators. Problem is that I am not sure I will be able to get enough customers.
            I'm pretty sure you won't.

The fact that my FTDNA pages get updated when new test results are received is a huge time saver that no off-site site could replicate.

Plus, all the Administrators are volunteers and many are probably living on a fixed income so getting them to pay for the "pretty" will be a tough sell.

Do it because you want to, but I wouldn't expect more than a handful of customers.

Comment

Working...
            X