Runtime Errors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Runtime Errors

Is anyone else getting runtime errors when you try to see Y-DNA Matches for your members? It's been happening constantly for about the last hour now. I've seen this before, but not this consistently. I'm assuming it might have something to do with results being loaded in the database?

Server Error in '/' Application.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Runtime Error
    Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
    <system.web>
    <customErrors mode="Off"/>
    </system.web>
    </configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<configuration>
    <system.web>
    <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
    </system.web>
    </configuration>

Yes, I'm getting runtime errors too...
    I hope they're uploading the database (maybe with my overdue results)

Comment

Finally got in after about 2 hours.

Comment

re: runtime error

Good. It's not just me. I'm also getting this error when trying to get into my Group account.

Run-time error is pasted below. Is there someone we should be forwarding these to?

Gary Lee

Server Error in '/' Application.
        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Runtime Error
        Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<configuration>
        <system.web>
        <customErrors mode="Off"/>
        </system.web>
        </configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<configuration>
        <system.web>
        <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
        </system.web>
        </configuration>

Comment

poor web service

I've been receiving this kind of error for about four days or so. Very frustrating!

Comment

Errors should be reported to FTDNA

Originally posted by TAMIMI
            I've been receiving this kind of error for about four days or so. Very frustrating!
            Have you reported the problem to FTDNA? I believe you'll find a contact link and a phone number at the bottom of this page.

Comment

Jim,

Thanks for the suggestion. I have already done that. They told me I should delete my cookies then re-try to log into my account again. I did exactly that and it's not working. I tried logging from another computer and using another type of browser, but the error continues to exist.

I thought some members of this forum might have a clue on how to solve this issue.

Comment

Runtime errors are usually caused by your computer not having enough memory.
                You should have at least 512 in the Windows Operating System.
                If you do not want to grow (or have 512) more memory, I would try installing
                DMA on your hard drive. This will enable your system to use your hard drive for more (faster) memory. Some kid will help you do that. DMA= Direct Memory Access. d

Comment

TAMIMI,

The runtime errors you are experiencing are NOT being caused by your own computer, as suggested by Darroll.

These particular runtime errors are being generated and reported by FTDNA's own webserver. You may want to report the problem to FTDNA again and ask them to have their IT staff look at it.

Sometimes when FTDNA's servers get really busy (such as when a large number of new results are posted), I also get runtime errors when trying to access the Y-DNA Matches page. But I just try again a little while later and it usually responds then. I haven't had it happen consistently for multiple days.

Comment

Originally posted by efgen
                    TAMIMI,

The runtime errors you are experiencing are NOT being caused by your own computer, as suggested by Darroll.
                    I did state RUNTIME errors are USUALLY .
                    I hope the gal is running defrag every other month. I was mainly worried about someone adding DMA access without backing up their critical data first. It you do any system modifications, you system can crash and blow away all of your data.. I have not had any problems with Y-Search/search. Good Luck. D

Comment

Originally posted by darroll
                      Runtime errors are usually caused by your computer not having enough memory.
                      You should have at least 512 in the Windows Operating System.
                      If you do not want to grow (or have 512) more memory, I would try installing
                      DMA on your hard drive. This will enable your system to use your hard drive for more (faster) memory. Some kid will help you do that. DMA= Direct Memory Access. d
                      darrol,

Thanks for your input. I have a 512 MB ram installed on my notebook. When I tried to log into my account I cheked the available memory at that moment and it was about 255 MB. Do you think 255 MB is not enough to access my personal FTDNA page?

By the way I am a guy not a gal.

Comment

Originally posted by efgen
                        TAMIMI,

These particular runtime errors are being generated and reported by FTDNA's own webserver. You may want to report the problem to FTDNA again and ask them to have their IT staff look at it.

Sometimes when FTDNA's servers get really busy (such as when a large number of new results are posted), I also get runtime errors when trying to access the Y-DNA Matches page. But I just try again a little while later and it usually responds then. I haven't had it happen consistently for multiple days.
                        efgen,

That is what I tought. After all, the message I get goes like " An application error occurred on the server" I am totally confused!

Thanks for sharing your views.

Comment

Originally posted by TAMIMI
                          darrol,

Thanks for your input. I have a 512 MB ram installed on my notebook. When I tried to log into my account I cheked the available memory at that moment and it was about 255 MB. Do you think 255 MB is not enough to access my personal FTDNA page?

By the way I am a guy not a gal.
                          I’m sorry about mixing up your gender, Guy.
                          Your 512/255 is plenty of memory to do a search/compare.
                          I have a few questions to ask.
                          What browser are you using?
                          Someone already had you kick out your cookies. I hope you have your cookies enabled. Remember some cookies are good.
                          I would go thru your cookies delete routine and kick all of the .temp files, this can be done by: click tools, click internet options, click delete files. Then power down your PC. Next I would check thru dos your hard drive. If your hard drive is full it will cause grief also (2 gig left is a full HD). If you are still having problems (before we jump on the web-master) you can E-Mail our shared address at [email protected]. FTDNA could get upset with us for not staying with the correct subject line. d

Comment

darroll,

I don't think there is a problem with my computer. I formatted my hard drive and did a fresh re-installation of Windows XP Home Edition.

I use IE VER 6.0 SP2 for a browser. I even dowloded another browser: Opera 9.0, and I still get the same error.

As for FTDNA getting upset, can you suggest an alternative! These forums don't appear to have a special place for technical complaints. And a I have been e-mailing FTDNA about this error for more than a week without a clear explanation from their side!

At this point, I believe there is a problem with their server.
                            Last edited by TAMIMI; 28 March 2007, 12:17 AM.

Comment

I’m sure this problem is not your computer.
                              This is how I tried to dupl. the problem:
                              I clicked Family Tree Results.
                              I clicked the “red tab” Y-DNA matches.
                              I received the matches.
                              How do you access FTDNA?

Thanks, D

Comment

Working...
                              X