Clear All

• ragnar
    replied
    Ok thanks for clearing that up

Leave a comment:

• jablair
    replied
    Hi Serpo,

Thanks for the help. I was going to say something similar, but your explanation is much clearer than mine would have been.

Leave a comment:

• lgmayka
    replied
    Originally posted by ragnar
    Well jablair, GB63U at Y search is a confirmed G2. On the FTDNA Key surname project, #36331 shows a green G (supposedly green color is confirmed). They match 25/25. At 37 markers they match 36/37. How do you explain that, unless one of the confirmations is wrong. GB63U's G2 was recently confirmed by FTDNA. I have no idea about the other. Also on the Key surname project, one of their other kits, # 24493 is a confirmed G2 & he also matches 25/25 to #36331, the G.
    This is easy to explain. G is not the same thing as G*. G includes G1, G2, G*, etc. A haplogroup confirmation of G simply means that the individual tested positive for M201; he may not have been tested for P15 at all, or his test may have failed to produce a clear result.

Leave a comment:

• ragnar
    replied
    Well jablair, GB63U at Y search is a confirmed G2. On the FTDNA Key surname project, #36331 shows a green G (supposedly green color is confirmed). They match 25/25. At 37 markers they match 36/37. How do you explain that, unless one of the confirmations is wrong. GB63U's G2 was recently confirmed by FTDNA. I have no idea about the other. Also on the Key surname project, one of their other kits, # 24493 is a confirmed G2 & he also matches 25/25 to #36331, the G.
    Last edited by ragnar; 9 August 2006, 05:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jablair
    replied
    Technically it is possible since two separate and independant tests are used. Haplotypes are determined through STR testing while haplogroups are determined through SNP testing.

From a practical standpoint such an occurance would probably never happen. If it did (and the two people had the same surname) it would negate the whole concept of Y-DNA STR testing. On one hand we would be saying that based on the same haplotype the two people were related some time fairly recently and on the other hand we would be saying based on the different haplogroups the two people could not be related in the last several thousand years.

To the best of my knowledge there has never been a case of two people with the same 37 marker haplotype ever having different haplogroups or even different subclades of the same major haplogroup.

In fact, to the best of my knowledge there has never been a case of two people with the same 25 marker haplotype ever having different haplogroups or even different subclades of the same major haplogroup.

It would be interesting to know what the closest record difference is between two people with different haplogroups or subclades, ie 24/25, 23/25, 36/37, 35/37, etc.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Thank you both for answering; it basically confirms what I thought.

I was contacted by someone from a different surname project, stating we had a 37/37 match. The participant's results from our project were uploaded to ysearch (as opposed to entered), and the haplogroup was predicted by FTDNA (R1b1). I am still awaiting answer from the other participant as to how the results and haplogroup ended up in ysearch.

Leave a comment:

• Johnserrat
    replied
    It should be impossible. Are these two people listed on ysearch? It would be interesting to run their results through Athey's predictor.

John

Leave a comment:

• GvdM
    replied
    Originally posted by Nelliebly
    Is it possible for 2 people to have an exact match on 37 markers and one having haplogroup R1a, the other one having haplogroup R1b1?
    I am assuming that these are estimated haplogroups. I would not think so, but have learned long ago never to say never. I think it is time for a DSNP test.

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic 37/37 match, different haplogroups?

37/37 match, different haplogroups?

Is it possible for 2 people to have an exact match on 37 markers and one having haplogroup R1a, the other one having haplogroup R1b1?
Working...
X