Forum for surname projects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum for surname projects

I have been thinking of setting a forum up for the surname project I am managing. I have no experience with forums, other than reading messages. Don't know anything about administering one, which one to choose, etc. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

I would like to see FTDNA offer this as a standard part of project setup, along with its web page generation, etc.

A few members of the Polish Project have specifically asked about a forum specifically for our project. I really don't have the time or expertise to set one up myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Dawn Ellis
      I have been thinking of setting a forum up for the surname project I am managing. I have no experience with forums, other than reading messages. Don't know anything about administering one, which one to choose, etc. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
      check out:
      http://www.myfamily.com/
      This may be more than what you had in mind, but it would have a lot of potential for expansion.

Comment

Also, check out WorldFamilies.net at:

http://www.wfnforum.net/index.php

They have forums set up by surname, but you would have to check to see if they would allow one to be set up if the rest of your project is at FTDNA. For example, my Sheets project is hosted for free by WFN, so it includes the forum. You could post this question under "General Discussion" or "Question of the week".

Paul

Comment

I was curious myself about this, so I posted the question at WFN under "General Discussion".

Comment

FTDNA provides Surname Forums

FTDNA will provide a forum for surname projects upon request. The forum will then be linked from the project member's myFTDNA page, plus I think also on the project's Join page. Just email them and ask for it - [email protected]

Elise
            Last edited by efgen; 23 July 2006, 12:27 PM.

Comment

I can imagine a forum for my surname project . . . all eight of us!

And I am the only one who frequents the FTDNA forum, as far as I know.

Well, the administrator (Glenn Stephens) and I would talk. We do that by email now on a pretty regular basis.

Comment

I1a Project Forum

I have sent an email to see if we can set one up for the I1a project.

Aaron Hill

Comment

Forum for Surname Projects - example?

I'd like to be notified here when one is up and running.
                  The FTDNA forum is good in that it attracts those interested in DNA.

I think the forum format falls short of Google Groups. I very much like the options there for public/private, email copy of posts, display of subject line before having to read whole message, and now free file storage.

Comment

Working...
                  X