Females with mtDNA tests in Surname Projects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Females with mtDNA tests in Surname Projects

I'm a Surname Project Administrator. Twice I've had women who are doing mtDNA testing only, join my LONG Surname Project, without first contacting me and without replying to my inquiries. What do they expect to get from joining a surname project? Is there an option I can use to prevent mtDNA-only people from joining the project without my concurrence?

They're probably new to genetic genealogy, don't understand the concepts yet and wouldn't know that a surname project is for men only. Well, they would know if they read the instructions, but many people (both men and women!) don't bother reading

The only way to prevent unauthorized joins is to force all requests to be approved by you. From your GAP, click Project Profile and there's a checkbox near the top that you need to UNCHECK to require every join request to get your approval.

If you choose to go this route, you will receive an email from FTDNA for every join request and you will then have to email the requestor with the direct link to the order form before they can order their kit. This can sometimes be a pain because you may have potential members who are ready to order their DNA kit right then and there, but now they have to wait for you to authorize them to order.

The other option is to just remove the unauthorized people from your project. There's no discount on mtDNA through projects anyway, so it doesn't matter if they order through a project or not. When you remove them, you need to give an explanation. I would suggest providing some basic info about why women/mtDNA tests are not eligible for surname projects and also suggest other projects they can join. For instance, after they get their haplogroup, they can join a haplogroup project. Or maybe there's a geographical project they can join. That way, you aren't turning them off to FTDNA, you are just pointing them in a better direction.

Elise

Comment

Unless you are getting swamped by these requests why don't you discuss it with them - find out why they feel they belong to the project?

You may just meet some useful people even if they do not know much about genetics.

In the end, what would be the harm in having some 'associate' members?

Comment

Working...
      X