Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where Are the Y-DNA Haplogroup Projects?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where Are the Y-DNA Haplogroup Projects?

If I to the FTDNA home page and click on "PROJECTS" I get the following choices:

Y-DNA SURNAME PROJECTS:
    Y-DNA GEOGRAPHICAL PROJECTS:
    mt GEOGRAPHICAL PROJECTS:
    DUAL GEOGRAPHICAL PROJECTS:
    mt LINEAGE PROJECTS:

If I click on "JOIN" on my personal page I get the following choices:

SURNAME PROJECTS:
    Y GEOGRAPHICAL PROJECTS:
    mt GEOGRAPHICAL PROJECTS:
    DUAL GEOGRAPHICAL PROJECTS:
    mt LINEAGE PROJECTS:
    mt HAPLOGROUP PROJECTS:

I can't find any of the Y-DNA haplogroup projects. I can reach the Jewish R1b project from my personal page because I belong. I can reach the Jewish E3b project because somebody posted the hyperlink to this forum. However, I can't find if there is a G project, for instance. Entering "r1b" in the search box (on the personal page version) is somewhat helpful. Enterning "G" results in a useless deluge.
    Last edited by Itzhak Epstein; 10 July 2006, 01:46 PM.

Itzhak,

You won't find it on the main projects page since only those who already have results are supposed to join the haplogroup projects.

You "should" see them when you go to the projects page using your myFTDNA join button. However, I have also run into cases where I didn't see the mtDNA Haplogroup Projects listed when I should have. So maybe this is a bug that needs to be reported to FTDNA.

Also, if you are already in a Y haplogroup project, I believe they won't show you the other Y haplogroup projects since you're only allowed to join one. I believe the Jewish E3b Project is classified as a geographical project instead (even though it's really not), so that people can join both the regular E3b project and the Jewish E3b project instead of having to choose one over the other.
    Last edited by efgen; 10 July 2006, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by efgen
      Itzhak,

You won't find it on the main projects page since only those who already have results are supposed to join the haplogroup projects.

You "should" see them when you go to the projects page using your myFTDNA join button. However, I have also run into cases where I didn't see the mtDNA Haplogroup Projects listed when I should have. So maybe this is a bug that needs to be reported to FTDNA.

Also, if you are already in a Y haplogroup project, I believe they won't show you the other Y haplogroup projects since you're only allowed to join one. I believe the Jewish E3b Project is classified as a geographical project instead (even though it's really not), so that people can join both the regular E3b project and the Jewish E3b project instead of having to choose one over the other.
      Elise:

I understand why some projects are not listed on the home page's link. I already called the problem to FTDNA's attention, during my newbie confusion, and they answered something about a "join" link on my personal page. Now, I am less confused and FTDNA has still not taken care of this "anomaly".

As you pointed out, the FTDNA staff sometimes gets confused about the differences between geography, ethnicity, and genetics. Upon checking, the Jewish E3b project is defined as geographical. The Jewish R1b1 is not there. American Indian Q3 is also a geographical category, as is Null439.

Is FTDNA monitoring this forum?

Comment

Originally posted by Itzhak Epstein
        Elise:

I understand why some projects are not listed on the home page's link. I already called the problem to FTDNA's attention, during my newbie confusion, and they answered something about a "join" link on my personal page. Now, I am less confused and FTDNA has still not taken care of this "anomaly".

As you pointed out, the FTDNA staff sometimes gets confused about the differences between geography, ethnicity, and genetics. Upon checking, the Jewish E3b project is defined as geographical. The Jewish R1b1 is not there. American Indian Q3 is also a geographical category, as is Null439.

Is FTDNA monitoring this forum?
        Itzhak,

They don't regularly respond to items on the forum. Best to email them with questions and issues.

I think you misunderstood my point about Jewish E3b being listed under geo projects. I don't think FTDNA is confused at all. Some people want to join both the regular E3b project and the Jewish E3b project (see the recent Jewish E3b thread for a discussion of that, we don't need to hash it out again here). However, since FTDNA only allows one Y haplogroup project per person, the only way to get around the current limitation is to categorize the Jewish E3b project as something other than a haplogroup project. At least that's my theory on why it's set up this way -- I haven't bothered to ask

Elise

Comment

Working...
        X