• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brunetmj
    FTDNA Customer
    • Jan 2011

Group Project Access Only ?

I know there are a few similar threads but I cannot tell if my issue with the privacy settings is unique or common.

As a project manager when looking at a list of project members historically I could click on their kit number and be taken to their home page.

I now find if "Group Project Access Only" displays along with their kit number,name. etc I can no longer click on kit number and see their information. Nadda. Nothing-I cannot see anything or go anywhere.

So is this issue unique to me? Or do they have to change their settings to limited access?
  • TwiddlingThumbs
    FTDNA Customer
    • Jan 2016

The absence of a link for Group Project Access Only members is intentional. Group Project Access Only means you cannot look at the group member's personal myFTDNA page.

Comment

• Brunetmj
      FTDNA Customer
      • Jan 2011

Group Project Access Only means you cannot look at the group member's personal myFTDNA page.

Even when your project manager? Apparently so. So what is the suggested setting for a project member when the project manager needs to see that page?

Comment

• TwiddlingThumbs
        FTDNA Customer
        • Jan 2016

If you need to just see what is on a member's myFTDNA page, but don't need to change anything, I think Limited Access is the right access level.

Comment

• oma04
          mtdna X2d, ydna I-M253
          • Oct 2014

new changes to access

Originally posted by TwiddlingThumbs View Post
          If you need to just see what is on a member's myFTDNA page, but don't need to change anything, I think Limited Access is the right access level.
          I have sent this message to the 20 members of my Stevenson Project with Group Project Access Only.

"to access your Project Preferences page:

1. Sign in to your myFTDNA account.
          2. In the upper-right corner of the page, click on your name/kit number, and click Privacy & Sharing from the drop-down menu. The Privacy & Sharing page is displayed.
          3. Click the Project Preferences tab. Your Project Preferences page is displayed.
          4. Choose either Full Access or Limited Access for me and Paul Stone (my coadministrator). If you belong to more than one Project, they will also be listed and you should repeat this action for each of your projects.
          5. Next, Click the Privacy and Sharing tab. Your Privacy and Sharing options are then displayed.
          6. Scroll down to Project Sharing section and then Group Project Profile. check Op In to Sharing tick box."

I also included a screen shot of the Privacy and Sharing Tab as this is a big page and one might miss the block to tick for Opt in to Sharing.

I have not yet decided what to do about those who do NOT make the change from Group Project Access Only.

Curry Walker Admin of Stevenson-Stephenson Surname Project.

Comment

• oma04
            mtdna X2d, ydna I-M253
            • Oct 2014

Group Project Access Only

I would like to hear from other project managers on how they are handling this issue. I began with 20 of 203 members with Group Project Access Only access on 24 May. After bulk email to the 20 members, I still have 12 who remain at this level.

I am considering removing them from the project if at least limited access is not granted.

Stevenson-Stephenson project

Comment

• LHolt-Galvin
              FTDNA Customer
              • Nov 2015

I am still trying to figure out how to deal with this as well. I have stated in my Welcome Email to new members that changing the privacy settings to Full or Limited access is required in order to stay in the project. I removed two recent joiners who didn't do this after a few days and an email reminder.

I only have 15 out of 225 members who have changed their settings at this point. Many joined before I was managing the project and appear to be FF testers. Many are probably deceased at this point and cannot change their settings.

I am starting to send out individual emails to the people who are not changing their settings and will probably remove them if they do not have yDNA results connected to their profile and who do not respond to my email to them.

Comment

• Jim Barrett
                R-BY55907
                • Apr 2003

Originally posted by oma04 View Post
                I would like to hear from other project managers on how they are handling this issue. I began with 20 of 203 members with Group Project Access Only access on 24 May. After bulk email to the 20 members, I still have 12 who remain at this level.

I am considering removing them from the project if at least limited access is not granted.

Stevenson-Stephenson project
                Do you normally remove dead members or members who changed their email address and failed to update their contact information?

Comment

• LHolt-Galvin
                  FTDNA Customer
                  • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
                  Do you normally remove dead members or members who changed their email address and failed to update their contact information?
                  For my surname projects, I see no reason to keep people in the project who do not have yDNA results attached to their kit number. The majority of the people who joined when the project was at WFT are transfer kits with only autosomal test results or NO DNA results attached to their kits. Surname projects need yDNA for grouping purposes. It is clearly stated in the description of the group that those without yDNA test results should not join. For my largest project, I will not be removing any kit with yDNA results even if I am unable to make contact with them or they have not changed their privacy settings.

Comment

• Jim Barrett
                    R-BY55907
                    • Apr 2003

Originally posted by LHolt-Galvin View Post
                    For my surname projects, I see no reason to keep people in the project who do not have yDNA results attached to their kit number. The majority of the people who joined when the project was at WFT are transfer kits with only autosomal test results or NO DNA results attached to their kits. Surname projects need yDNA for grouping purposes. It is clearly stated in the description of the group that those without yDNA test results should not join. For my largest project, I will not be removing any kit with yDNA results even if I am unable to make contact with them or they have not changed their privacy settings.
                    My reply was to the message from oma04.

As for your message I thought that Autosomal DNA was DNA. Maybe you meant "with no Y-DNA results".

If you accepted these people at WFT, why wouldn't you accept them at FTDNA if their results is from FTDNA test(s)?

Comment

• LHolt-Galvin
                      FTDNA Customer
                      • Nov 2015

As for your message I thought that Autosomal DNA was DNA. Maybe you meant "with no Y-DNA results".

If you accepted these people at WFT, why wouldn't you accept them at FTDNA if their results is from FTDNA test(s)?
                      When the project was at WFT and run by Terry Barton because the admin died and no one took over. The project was set to accept anyone that clicked the join button. All of the projects that were being cared for by WFT were set up that way. They did not have time to respond to join requests for the thousands of projects they were managing. I did not accept them. No one vetted them in order to determine if they belonged in the project or not.

For your information, there is a way for people to join a project even though they have no DNA results attached to their kit. They order a transfer kit, but never actually transfer DNA results from anywhere. They have a kit number, but no DNA results. I have a few of these in my 200 member project. Those are the ones I am planning to remove first.

Comment

• Jim Barrett
                        R-BY55907
                        • Apr 2003

Originally posted by LHolt-Galvin View Post
                        For your information, there is a way for people to join a project even though they have no DNA results attached to their kit. They order a transfer kit, but never actually transfer DNA results from anywhere. They have a kit number, but no DNA results. I have a few of these in my 200 member project. Those are the ones I am planning to remove first.
                        For your information, when a person transfers a kit from 23andMe or Ancestry they do transfer DNA results. They transfer their autosomal DNA data!

One more time. When you say, "but no DNA results" do you really mean no Y-DNA results?

Comment

• LHolt-Galvin
                          FTDNA Customer
                          • Nov 2015

For your information, when a person transfers a kit from 23andMe or Ancestry they do transfer DNA results. They transfer their autosomal DNA data!

One more time. When you say, "but no DNA results" do you really mean no Y-DNA results?
                          Before the new privacy rules went into effect, I could click through to these accounts and could see that they ordered a transfer kit so they could get a kit number, but NEVER actually transferred their DNA results from anywhere. When someone orders a transfer kit, they never have to actually complete the transfer of their DNA results, so they have no DNA results attached to their kit number. NO yDNA. NO autosomal DNA, NO mitochrondial DNA. NO DNA test results of ANY kind.

I have about five people who have done that. One person explained that they did it because their father was in the project and they wanted to be able to access the results pages and get bulk emails about the project.

Comment

• oma04
                            mtdna X2d, ydna I-M253
                            • Oct 2014

to Jim Barrett

These kits were a part of the World Families project when I became administrator. I only left them in as a courtesy to the World Families administrator. As World Families is no longer overseeing and managing the Stevenson project, I feel atdna testing members WITHOUT ydna testing does not enhance the information in our project. yDNA results are public on our MyGroups pages so anyone who has tested atdna and are considering testing ydna have enough information with the Most Distant Ancestor listed to see if they want to do further testing, in my opinion.

Comment

• Jim Barrett
                              R-BY55907
                              • Apr 2003

What is the Goal of Your Project?

My goal, for each of my surname projects, is to help the members descending form people with that surname expand their knowledge of those ancestors. I don't care about the sex of that member or which test(s) they have taken.

Comment

Working...
                              X