No announcement yet.

Different Surname Match, More Testing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different Surname Match, More Testing?

As shown under another thread my group, Vines & Variants, have 4 matches on DYS in UK and OZ. We also have a 25/25 match with Sam M. of Nth Carolina, where there are also Vines in records from 1700s, before Revolution. Unfortunately Sams test is the only one for his surname and we don't as yet have a Vines match in US.
    Our problem: could this cross name match be due to random convergence, a matter of luck, or was there a concealed interfamily relationship.
    I am at present waiting for results of a SNP test for confirmation of N haplogroup, which indicates a long, long ago emergence from northern Eurasian origins. I reason that if Sams Y DNA matches by random coincidence it would be possible that his haplogroup would be different to mine.
    Am I right? Would DYS and SNP matches for a different surname case clinch a recent relationship?

Fred Vines

Hi Fred,

Well I am not the expert but as no one has replied to this thought I would throw in my tuppence worth. First off you did not mention what the haplogroup was for Sam...is it N like yours? Or even O or M? This, I should imagine, would allow for a match further back in history, especially as he has a 25/25 match..given a change of name of some type. If his haplogroup is way off the N then forget it. It was a coincidence.

Hooray.

Comment

Re: Different Surname Match, More Testing?

Originally posted by Fred Vines
      As shown under another thread my group, Vines & Variants, have 4 matches on DYS in UK and OZ. We also have a 25/25 match with Sam M. of Nth Carolina, where there are also Vines in records from 1700s, before Revolution. Unfortunately Sams test is the only one for his surname and we don't as yet have a Vines match in US.
      Our problem: could this cross name match be due to random convergence, a matter of luck, or was there a concealed interfamily relationship.
      I am at present waiting for results of a SNP test for confirmation of N haplogroup, which indicates a long, long ago emergence from northern Eurasian origins. I reason that if Sams Y DNA matches by random coincidence it would be possible that his haplogroup would be different to mine.
      Am I right? Would DYS and SNP matches for a different surname case clinch a recent relationship?

Fred Vines
      Fred,

A simple way to respond to your e-mail is, yes, you and Sam are related. How far back? Here is where DNA and traditional genealogy should be put to work together. If you look plainly at the significance of the DNA result, you have to apply the statistical probablilities, which tells that 50% of the times your common ancestor lived up to 7 generations ago, or 95% of the times the common ancestor lived up to 30 generations ago. So, the way to go, is for both of you to look at your family trees and family history, and see where your and Sam's tree converge. On a separate note, his Haplogroup should be exactly the same as yours.
      Brgds
      Max Blankfeld
      Vice-President and COO @ Family Tree DNA
      A Gene by Gene Company

Comment

Working...
      X