Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

work in progress

" So we are closely watching FTDNA work in progress"
    at least they were proactive on one front: The Member Information Report now has the added columns:
    Access Granted and Publicly Shared DNA Results.

Both will be a real time saver!

Comment

Originally posted by oma04 View Post
      "The Member Information Report now has the added columns: Access Granted and Publicly Shared DNA Results.
      The new default access setting for joining members is Group Project Access Only. That means that administrators have only the same information as other project members. They can no longer see YDNA or mtDNA match lists, BigY results, haplogroup and match origins or Family Finder matches. That greatly limits the ability of administrators to manage projects and assist in research. I don't think this is clear to all project membes so I am contacting them to recommend that they change the setting to Grant Limited Access if they want our continued assistance, and also changing the welcome message to make the same suggestion.

Comment

Originally posted by jbarry6899 View Post
        The new default access setting for joining members is Group Project Access Only. That means that administrators have only the same information as other project members. They can no longer see YDNA or mtDNA match lists, BigY results, haplogroup and match origins or Family Finder matches. That greatly limits the ability of administrators to manage projects and assist in research. I don't think this is clear to all project membes so I am contacting them to recommend that they change the setting to Grant Limited Access if they want our continued assistance, and also changing the welcome message to make the same suggestion.
        Stupid question maybe but how will we group a new member within the Y-DNA chart if we aren't given who they match?

Also when I logged in today they wanted me to click that I agree to administrator terms and conditions but the terms and conditions aren't shown. Where are they? As I assume they have probably changed, but I clicked yes anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by travers View Post
          [----] Also when I logged in today they wanted me to click that I agree to administrator terms and conditions but the terms and conditions aren't shown. Where are they? As I assume they have probably changed, but I clicked yes anyways.
          The link to

Group Project Administrator Terms & Policies
          www.familytreedna.com/legal/terms/group-project-administrator

was given in the dialog screen, but the link hidden behind the text Group Project Administrator Terms & Policies was not underlined, until you had moved your mouse over it.

Mr. W.
          Last edited by dna; 23rd May 2018, 10:52 PM.

Comment

Stupid question maybe but how will we group a new member within the Y-DNA chart if we aren't given who they match?
            You should still be able to use the GAP Genetic Distance tool to see the genetic distance between one member and all other members who match or come close to matching (although some admins have complained that it seems to be broken). You can also use the free app: www.ydnafamilygrouping.com . To create a csv file with all project results for use with that app (or any other third party app), see "How can I get a .csv file of the project data to submit as input?" in the FAQ in that app.

Comment

Originally posted by dna View Post
              The link to

Group Project Administrator Terms & Policies
              www.familytreedna.com/legal/terms/group-project-administrator

was given in the dialog screen, but the link hidden behind the text Group Project Administrator Terms & Policies was not underlined, until you had moved your mouse over it.

Mr. W.
              Thanks for that.

Comment

Originally posted by TwiddlingThumbs View Post
                You should still be able to use the GAP Genetic Distance tool to see the genetic distance between one member and all other members who match or come close to matching (although some admins have complained that it seems to be broken). You can also use the free app: www.ydnafamilygrouping.com . To create a csv file with all project results for use with that app (or any other third party app), see "How can I get a .csv file of the project data to submit as input?" in the FAQ in that app.
                Thanks. Yes the Genetic Distance Tool appears to be broken, at least on my pages it is. The link you provided says this site cannot be reached or at least it did when I tried. Is this the correct link? http://www.ydnagroupingapp.com/

I will check it out, thanks.

Comment

Thanks. Yes the Genetic Distance Tool appears to be broken, at least on my pages it is. The link you provided says this site cannot be reached or at least it did when I tried. Is this the correct link? http://www.ydnagroupingapp.com/

I will check it out, thanks.
                  Yes, that's the correct link. You are correct about the Genetic Distance Tool. Hopefully they fix it. Seems like FTDNA currently has a lot of fires to put out though.

Comment

After agreeing to the new GAP privacy policy and logging in to my projects, I was denied access to my own activity page in one project. Of course I was denied access to members who have their setting to "Group Project Access Only", even my own account. "Group Project Access Only" really means complete denial.

Even if a member has there setting to "limited Access" I was denied access to several different pages in their account.

Why does't FTDNA deny customers to join projects until they have changed their setting.

Why have projects? Since there is very little I can do for FTDNA's customers, why should I stay an administer of several projects? FTDNA then can hire hundreds of customer service rep's to help their customers.

Comment

8. Group Project Administrator Use of Projects and Member Information
                      B. Administrators agree to never use their access to member data to:
                      vi. Use member information or email address to send any correspondence unrelated to the project.

I have a FamilyFinder Project. For everybody in my Project, I had their e-mail and was using it before they joined the project. Am I correct that the above does not restrict me from continuing to use their e-mail as I would have if they were not in the project?

Comment

Originally posted by loobster View Post
                        8. Group Project Administrator Use of Projects and Member Information
                        B. Administrators agree to never use their access to member data to:
                        vi. Use member information or email address to send any correspondence unrelated to the project.

I have a FamilyFinder Project. For everybody in my Project, I had their e-mail and was using it before they joined the project. Am I correct that the above does not restrict me from continuing to use their e-mail as I would have if they were not in the project?
                        I consider that to be an equivalent of forbidding use of those e-mail addresses for non-project reasons like advertising, commercial, Facebook-like behaviour etc., but not prohibiting a casual conversation with people I am familiar with (if only via e-mail).

If someone can come up with a better, more comprehensive wording in legalese that would be also understandable by us...

Mr. W.

Comment

https://dna-explained.com/2018/05/25...00-pound-baby/

GDPR explained by Roberta Estes.

Comment

Not just happening here.

https://www.newsmax.com/finance/econ...d-46170d4f2ea1

Comment

Originally posted by Ericjle View Post
                              After agreeing to the new GAP privacy policy and logging in to my projects, I was denied access to my own activity page in one project. Of course I was denied access to members who have their setting to "Group Project Access Only", even my own account. "Group Project Access Only" really means complete denial.

Even if a member has there setting to "limited Access" I was denied access to several different pages in their account.
                              I am sure I am typical of most project administrators, in that I spent most of yesterday with my Member Information list from GAP in order to understand the new accesses.

20 of our 207 members have opted for Group Access Only. Even with Limited Access given to me as Administrator, unless the box was ticked to share DNA results publicly, I do not consider these members to be an asset to my project, as public viewing on pseudonym kits is a drawing card to other Stevensons who may be considering the yDNA test. I will spend the rest of the afternoon today drafting a bulk email to my members.

Comment

I recently was promoted to full admin of five projects due to the retirement of Terry Barton. I sent a bulk email out reminding everyone to grant at least limited access to me in order for the project to be successful. To date almost no one has done so. My largest group is 223 members. Only 15 of those have changed their group project settings to opt in to sharing and access for the project admin. All the other projects are the same way. How are we supposed to run a project like this? Many of the members are probably deceased by now. There is no one to make the needed changes. This is so sad!

Comment

Working...
                                X