Family Tree DNA 3rd International Conference for Group Administrators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Tree DNA 3rd International Conference for Group Administrators

Family Tree DNA is pleased to announce our 3rd International Conference on Genetic Genealogy for Group Administrators.
    Registration and the schedule are available as of June 1st, 2006.

Although we have determined a tentative schedule for this year's conference, including breakout sessions, we have a couple of sessions which we are announcing as TBA, as we are awaiting confirmation from the speakers. We are open to your suggestions on the breakout sessions. We would like to invite our Group Administrators to share your ideas, suggestions, and input with us on this forum thread. For example, are you interested in a session on managing your GAP? We look forward to hearing from you!
    Max Blankfeld
    Vice-President and COO @ Family Tree DNA
    A Gene by Gene Company

Where do we register?

Elise

Comment

Schedule & Registration Link Posted

The homepage has been updated with the schedule & registration link:

http://www.ftdna.com/Conference_2006_reg.asp

Elise

Comment

Podcast, Streaming or Downloadable speeches?

Say Max, I know taken to the extreme it could cost a pretty penny, but for those of us who are unable to attend, would it be possible for someone to record some of the breakout sessions on a camcorder and in the very least optimize it for download? It might serve to help build a group administrator help/educational section of the site as well as lend to those of us who have too many familial obligations to minimally participate.

Ideally, a live conferencing would be fantastic, but I know the costs of that. Who knows what the future might hold, though, hmm?

If you need any advice on technologies and inexpensive solutions, just let me know.

Sean Silver
        R1b Jewish Administrator
        http://www.familytreedna.com/public/JewishR1b

Comment

I like Sean's idea.

I just got back from a conference presented by the Skeptics Society - and they recorded it - and they will make the sessions available on DVD for those who could not attend the live conference. They charge for the DVD, but it is a LOT less than attending the conference.

Live conferences are great, but a DVD is better than nothing for those of us who cannot afford to attend the conference.

Comment

Cladogram breakout session

Since you asked for suggestions, I wouldn't mind a "how-to" oriented breakout on creating cladograms/phylogenetic trees, possibly with a focus on using Fluxus Enginineering software and the alternatives (PhyloDraw?). Some treatment of the "why bother" question would be helpful too, I suppose.

Comment

Cladogram breakout session

I agree with that. A class on drawing phylogenetic trees would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by LJonas
                I agree with that. A class on drawing phylogenetic trees would be great.
                its not classes but lectures

Comment

We have tentatively added a breakout session on phylogenetic trees to our upcoming conference.

Additionally, I'd like to let you know that we will be offering a shuttle service from the hotel this year. The hotel will be near the Intercontinental Airport, but on Thursday and Friday, November 2nd and 3rd, we will offer a shuttle service to the Galleria. You can view information on the Galleria here: http://www.simon.com/mall/default.aspx?ID=805. This is a part of town known for the restaurants and shopping. The shuttle will run from approximately 6:30 pm to 11 pm.

We look forward to seeing you in November!

Comment

Process Questions

I would be interested in learning more details about the overall order and testing process.

For example, I know orders are batched every Wednesday and sent to the lab. According to the GP website, samples in each batch are entered into a computer system which assigns where in a tray the samples are placed. But are trays filled with samples requiring the same type of test or are they mixed? Are certain tests given priority over others? For someone who orders a test with multiple panels (ie, a 37- or 67-marker test) or multiple tests (ie, Y-DNA+mtDNA), in what order are each of those tests performed? Do the samples have to be re-trayed after the first panel/test? And what happens when a panel/test fails, how does the sample get injected back into the process for the re-run? How much is automated and how much is manual? Etc.

Elise

Comment

Originally posted by LeahW
                      We have tentatively added a breakout session on phylogenetic trees to our upcoming conference.

Additionally, I'd like to let you know that we will be offering a shuttle service from the hotel this year!
                      Both pieces of news are wonderful!

I don't want to step on anyone's toes, but would folks be interested in an off-schedule dinner on November 3rd? I don't see a dinner on the tentative schedule, and there are (as Leah intimates) a lot of great restaraunts in Houston -- around the Galleria and elsewhere.

The Galleria is literally next door to my office, and if folks who are interested send me a private message then we can calculate interest.

Comment

Max,
                        No one seems to have addressed your question about managing our GAP pages. I for one would appreciate such a lecture.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Burns
                          Max,
                          No one seems to have addressed your question about managing our GAP pages. I for one would appreciate such a lecture.
                          There is an agenda item on the tentative schedule called "Making the most out of your GAP - Adrian Williams".

Comment

We will also have a hospitality room at the Sheraton on Thursday and Friday evening, November 2nd and 3rd.

Comment

DFW area to Houston

If anyone in the DFW area is interested in sharing a ride I plan to drive. I'll leave the DFW area Thursday morning. Please contact me at parino at flash.net.

Comment

Working...
                              X