Fluxus help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fluxus help please

Hi, I'm new here and very glad to find this forum.

I am trying to play around with the Fluxus software. I have looked at the McGee Network Creation Demonstration and have gotten as far as saving the .ych file generated by MdGee's Y-Utility: Y-DNA Comparison Utility in wordpad. When I go into Fluxus to open the file, there is no .ych file visible on my desktop. How do I get Wordpad to save in that format?

Thanks,

Dawn,

After you have saved the file with wordpad, switch to Windows Explorer. Find the file, right click on it, select rename, and retype the extension.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Barrett
      Dawn,

After you have saved the file with wordpad, switch to Windows Explorer. Find the file, right click on it, select rename, and retype the extension.
      I have tried that several times now. It still is listed as a .txt in properties, even though the name is ellis.ych

Comment

Originally posted by Dawn Ellis
        Hi, I'm new here and very glad to find this forum.

I am trying to play around with the Fluxus software. I have looked at the McGee Network Creation Demonstration and have gotten as far as saving the .ych file generated by MdGee's Y-Utility: Y-DNA Comparison Utility in wordpad. When I go into Fluxus to open the file, there is no .ych file visible on my desktop. How do I get Wordpad to save in that format?

Thanks,
        When you save the file in Wordpad enclose the filename in quotes, like this: "file.ych"

Comment

Thanks, That worked!

Comment

Must have gone suddenly stupid!

Thanks to this thread and the replies, I was able to generate the phylographs for my project members about a month ago. Confident that I would be able to update as needed (like now), I went on my merry way. Now that I have new results to enter, I have have generated the file, resaved with the .ych file extension (will not allow for the " marks) and keep getting an error when I try to run it in the Flexus program.

Same steps I used before, but this time, I can't get it to work. Talk about feeling stupid!

Comment

@cjms

I assume you're working on a Windows system. If so, have you checked if your Windows Explorer is configured to "hide extensions for known file types"?

Using the Windows Explorer menu bar, click Tools -> Folder Options and then in the View tab of the dialog box find the "Hide extensions for known file types" option and make sure it is unchecked so you can really see what type of extensions are being appended to your files.

If you're really unable to use the quote (") marks in the Save File dialog you can locate your file with the Windows explorer and then rename it directly. When you do you'll get a notice about changing file extensions, etc. but just click OK.

If you have an correct file extension and Fluxus keeps outputting an error message it is possible that your file got corrupted. You've got to make sure that your editing application is a plain text editor and it isn't adding any formatting characters whatsoever.

Comment

Thanks for the help

I am not quite sure what it was that I had been doing wrong, but have been able to generate the newer graphs without a hitch. Perhaps my computer was simply on strike?

I have to thank our projet members who tested elsewhere. Because of them, I have to keep a running spreadsheet with values/results for all members. Each time new results come in, they are added to the spreadsheet, then compared, marker by marker to the 3 "outside" project members in order to establish distances.

Who knew the spreadsheet would come in so handy when I was looking for a way to visually display the relationship between project members?

Although the site updates, incorporating new results take me about a week to a week and a half at this juncture, I find that generating the phylographs are one of the easiest steps now that I've gotten the hang of it.

Once again, thank you for your kind and generous help AND easily understood instructions.

Comment

Working...
                X