2006 Genetic Genealogy Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 Genetic Genealogy Conference

Last October's 2nd International Conference on Genetic Genealogy was held in Washington DC, and it was great. Holding it in DC allowed Spencer Wells and the Genographic team to actively participate.

Let me be the first to inquire about this year's conference and make the case that the conference should be again held in Washington DC. I've heard rumors that Bennett is leaning towards Houston so that he can save money and sleep in his own bed.

The reasons that Washington DC is a good idea again include:

1. Washington DC is a genealogist' Mcca with the DAR library, National Archives, and numerous specialty research locations (e.g., NGS, etc.)

2. Washington DC provides a lot of other tourist attractions for wives and children not interested in hearing of the subtleties on SNP testing. Participants don't need cars to get around or to hit the town at night.

3. Washington DC provides excellent airline access.

4. It's really time for a Genographics update and we're more likely to get Spencer's team's participation if we hold this in DC.

5. Washington DC is a hub of genetic research and additional speakers or participants can be recruited from NIST, National Science Foundation, NIH, FBI, etc.

6. The FTDNA lab rats deserve to get out of Arizona and have some fun. I don't think that the girls had any complaints about the night life in Adams Morgan from the last conference.

7. National Geographic's facilities were excellent for holding a large conference.

8. Keeping the conference on the east coast will encourage the conference to be truly international. Let's face it -- more international participants are likely to come from Europe than Asia.

9 Houston is ... well Houston. Enough said.

So Bennett, Max, what do you say? Ready to come back to DC?

In a subsequent post, I'll provide some suggestions on some ideas to approve the conference.

Is the conference always in October?

Comment

K,

Excellent post. I live in the DC area myself, so would love for the conference to be here again so I can attend -- I definitely won't be able to attend a conference in Houston this year. I missed the conference last year -- had just started looking into DNA testing the week after the conference!

I don't know that Bennett is leaning toward Houston so that HE can save money. DC is expensive -- it's difficult to get good conference space and hotel space while trying to keep the conference price affordable for participants.

Might I suggest that you email this post directly to Bennett as well? I don't know if he monitors these boards at all. Thanks!

Comment

2006 FTDNA Conference

Hi Kevin,

You were harsh on Houston... !

The Conference will indeed be in Houston, but not to save money, or so that we can sleep in our beds. The cost was actually cheaper doing it at National Geographic, and our hotel beds and ammenities were pretty nice! Also, for participants, I believe that the cost is cheaper, both when it comes to hotels and travel. Now I am sure that those who live in DC and around would love it to be in DC!

Alex Moen, the Director of the Genographic Project is scheduled to come to Houston and give us an update on the Project.

We will also include transportation to take participants in the evening to the Galleria area, which is the shopping and dining district.

Choosing the place for a conference, and scheduling speakers is not an easy task, and it's not easy to be able to please everybody 100%. After hearing the suggestions from the previous conferences, we will have a few break-out sections.

It looks like the conference will be on Nov. 3-4 and I belive that by the end of this week we will be able to give more details and announce it officially.
        Max Blankfeld
        Vice-President and COO @ Family Tree DNA
        A Gene by Gene Company

Comment

Originally posted by K. Campbell
          Last October's 2nd International Conference on Genetic Genealogy was held in Washington DC, and it was great. Holding it in DC allowed Spencer Wells and the Genographic team to actively participate.

Let me be the first to inquire about this year's conference and make the case that the conference should be again held in Washington DC. I've heard rumors that Bennett is leaning towards Houston so that he can save money and sleep in his own bed.

The reasons that Washington DC is a good idea again include:

1. Washington DC is a genealogist' Mcca with the DAR library, National Archives, and numerous specialty research locations (e.g., NGS, etc.)

2. Washington DC provides a lot of other tourist attractions for wives and children not interested in hearing of the subtleties on SNP testing. Participants don't need cars to get around or to hit the town at night.

3. Washington DC provides excellent airline access.

4. It's really time for a Genographics update and we're more likely to get Spencer's team's participation if we hold this in DC.

5. Washington DC is a hub of genetic research and additional speakers or participants can be recruited from NIST, National Science Foundation, NIH, FBI, etc.

6. The FTDNA lab rats deserve to get out of Arizona and have some fun. I don't think that the girls had any complaints about the night life in Adams Morgan from the last conference.

7. National Geographic's facilities were excellent for holding a large conference.

8. Keeping the conference on the east coast will encourage the conference to be truly international. Let's face it -- more international participants are likely to come from Europe than Asia.

9 Houston is ... well Houston. Enough said.

So Bennett, Max, what do you say? Ready to come back to DC?

In a subsequent post, I'll provide some suggestions on some ideas to approve the conference.

OKAY NOW FOR ANOTHER SIDE
          i had 7 dumpsters in the courtyard behind the hotel and each one got picked up each night at 200.237,325,345,410,435,445,600,

we needed to stay in 6 hotels and never had comradery
          it took me a while to learn who was in cofference and i came a day early

in this day and age there are small convention centers with hotels probably near huston washington or ARIZONA WHICH IS WHERE I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE IT
          .SEE THE LAB.
          even in dc outside dc a limo can get geo people there and maybe the fee for the room wont be 200$

Comment

Working...
          X