Counting/explaining differences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Counting/explaining differences

As a group administrator, I'm assumed to know everything about matches and mismatches-- I'm sure the other admins get that too. So I'm calling on the experts. My question regards the counting of mutations.

I understand from one of my participants that a one-step difference in both 389i and 389ii-- i.e. 15/14 and 30/29-- are considered one mutation and not two, as the repeats in i are counted in ii so a mutation in i also is counted in ii.

What about 464a, b, c, d? Any such similar "ripple" effect where one mutation is counted multiple times? One of my participants, who brick walls in the mid-19th century (and strongly suspects a non-paternity event along with that brick wall) matched two people outside our group 12/12, but when upgraded to 25 markers ended up not matching on 5 or 6 markers. Three of those were 464b, c, and d, so I was wondering if each should be counted as a mismatch or, if like the 389 situation, it's really only one mismatch?

Thanks! I figured that the forum would be a better place for this question than a private email as other administrators may have the same question sometime down the road.

Re one-step difference in both 389i and 389ii-- i.e. 15/14 and 30/29--

I find using 389a and 389b clears up this problem
    the a and b suffix give the individual lenghts (counts)
    So 389a is the same and 389i
    and 389b is 389ii less 389i

Now each mutation is the same.

Comment

re What about 464a, b, c, d? Any such similar "ripple" effect where one mutation is counted multiple times?
      [as in the 389i and 389ii issue]

No there is not the same interaction with these
      Each one is seperate [ that is the why a,b,c, and d
      is used and not i, ii, iii, and iv]

Comment

Re: Counting/explaining differences

Originally posted by lslavens

What about 464a, b, c, d? Any such similar "ripple" effect where one mutation is counted multiple times? One of my participants, who brick walls in the mid-19th century (and strongly suspects a non-paternity event along with that brick wall) matched two people outside our group 12/12, but when upgraded to 25 markers ended up not matching on 5 or 6 markers. Three of those were 464b, c, and d, so I was wondering if each should be counted as a mismatch or, if like the 389 situation, it's really only one mismatch?

464abcd "counting" is - well, unusual . . . . check out this example.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....endistance.htm

Comment

Working...
        X