Family Project Website Help & Hints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Project Website Help & Hints

I've finally got tired of my web site (that someone else built for me) being out of date. I don't have Admin priviliges on this site; I don't know HTML or FrontPage or have the energy to maintain a site; the builder lost interest in the DNA project; my participants are tired of having the information out of date.

I just used the FTDNA Family Project Website Builder to update my site. It will be a blessing that the Y-Results are automatically updated and sorted as I have defined them.

Now that I've done this, I have several hints, suggestions, and questions that I'd like to pass along.

1. HINT - The basic bold, italic, underline, and hyperlink HTML commands work well and spice the page up a bit. I will post a follow-up message with the format of these commands.

2. QUESTION - Are there any other basic HTML tags that can be added to add color, images, or graphics?

3. QUESTION - Which Project Admins have done a nice job with their FTDNA Family Project Websites? I'd love to learn from the "best in class" pages and update mine accordingly. The Campbell page is at:
    http://www.familytreedna.com/public/Campbell

4. SUGGESTION - I'd love to be able to attach documents. Would it be possible to create a TAB/Section that is nothing more than a list of named PDF, DOC, RTF documents? Maybe we could call these documents "LINKS". This would be a great way to add all the reference material and graphics that might be too much of a burden for the main HTML template.

5. QUESTION - What are the text size limits (? KB) for each Page section?

More to come

HTML Tips

Her are some HTML tips that someone else posted. They may be elsewhere on this board, I don't know.

Family Tree DNA* offers their Group Project Administrators a free one page website to display results and project information. The website is generated by fill in forms, and does not contain many features. However, HTML knowledgeable Admins. have discovered various methods to enhance the visual appearance of their websites.

Bold - Italics - Underline
    To turn bold on, put <b> before the text. To turn it off again, use </b> at the end of text in bold
    Example:

<b>CALLING ALL ____________ & SIMILAR or ASSOCIATED SURNAMES</b>

Italics, and underline are produced in the same manner by putting <i> or <u> in front of the text and </i> or </u> after it.

Weblinks
    It appears as though the weblink name is quoted twice, but one of these is to make the text for the link appear on the webpage, while the other is the command to physically make the link work rather than it just being inert text. For weblinks, use the commands <a and </a> in the same sort of way as you do with bold, underline and italic.

Linking to the Dorsey webpage:
    Sample text:

<b>DNA Collection Method</b> The collection of a DNA sample may sound like a rather daunting process - however it is a very simple and painless procedure which is excellently explained by Dave Dorsey's step by step photographic guide to the whole process.

Example:

<a href="http://www.isogg.org/membersonly/enhanceftdna.htm">http://www.isogg.org/membersonly/enhanceftdna.htm</a>
    If you do not want visitors to leave your site by clicking on a link, add TARGET="WINDOW_NAME"> at the end of the link.

Example:

<a href="http://boltancestry.com/elizabeth.htm" TARGET="WINDOW_NAME">Elizabeth</a>

To add a hyperlinked e-mail address:

<a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a>
    Hit counter
    To add a hit counter to your website, visit Rapid Counter, select a style, and fill out the sign-up form for a free counter. A box with the counter's HTML code will appear, copy and paste the code into your website. If you want it as close to the bottom of your project's page as possible, then paste the text in the "Project Results" section.

If you want to insert a clickable email address, here is how mine looked:

If you need scholarship aid, please email me at <a href="mailto:[email protected]">annsfamilyt [email protected]</a>.

Comment

Working...
    X