How to find more participants

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to find more participants

I have just recently started this project and am in need of some other Wiley lines for testing. I had to bite my tonge last month when I rushed my son to the emergency room for a broken arm and discovered his Doctors name was Jeff Wiley
    The fact that my great great grandfather listed his birthplace as three different states doesnt help (VA, Vermont and Canada). My John Wiley was born abt. 1819. I found him on several Census and his enlistment to Civil War and a Widows pension who states he died in Fulton County Ky in 1876. (She had no record of this). Last known record was 1870 birthplace VA.
    Where should I start for testing?
    I have my brothers DNA tested and more test on him are in the lab. I also had my great Uncle tested and they are also in the lab.
    Question 2- I had myself tested (DNA Print) and tested 24% Native American and 76% European, however I dont want any Wiley (possible relatives) to think they are not this line because they have no Native Blood. It is my grandfather (Amos Wiley 1859) who married Alice Holt ( Who we believe is the Native Blood) So Im a little confused if I should call my project The Wiley Project, The Holt Project or The Wiley/Holt Project.
    I am interested in The Wiley line but also very interested in the Native line. Hope I didn't make this to complicated, would love any suggestions or ideas?
    Thanks Nancy Wiley Pichette

Hi Nancy,

Here a some of the ways I found participants for my BLAIR DNA project:

1. Genealogical Surname Societies - I work with the Blair Society for Genealogical Research and the Clan Blair Society. Both of these organizations endorse and support the project. If you have a similiar organization for Wiley, they could be a valuable resource.

2. Rootsweb Mailing List - I use the BLAIR-D@rootsweb.com mailing list to get the word out. There is also such a list for Wiley. I checked it tonight and didn't find anything on your DNA project.

3. Query Boards (Surname Forums) - Ancestry.com (http://boards.ancestry.com/) and Genealogy.com (http://genforum.genealogy.com/) both have surname forums. I notice you've posted to Ancestry but not Genealogy.

(continued)

Comment

Hi Nancy,

(continued)

4. Bulk Mail - I used Internet Address Finder (http://www.iaf.net/) and Yahoo People Finder (http://people.yahoo.com/) to find the email addresses of all Blairs. The search resulted in over 2,200 addresses. I emailed all of them explaining the project. The biggest problem with this approach is it is VERY time consuming and the vast majority of the addresses are BAD. I bounced about 1,700 messages. With most email programs you have limit the number of addresses you send to all one time, so this method is probably more work than it's worth.

5. See Facts & Genes from Family Tree DNA
      ==================================
      April 4, 2003 Volume 2, Issue 3

for more ideas on how to find participants.

Comment

Originally posted by jablair
        Hi Nancy,

(continued)

4. Bulk Mail - I used Internet Address Finder (http://www.iaf.net/) and Yahoo People Finder (http://people.yahoo.com/) to find the email addresses of all Blairs. The search resulted in over 2,200 addresses. I emailed all of them explaining the project. The biggest problem with this approach is it is VERY time consuming and the vast majority of the addresses are BAD. I bounced about 1,700 messages. With most email programs you have limit the number of addresses you send to all one time, so this method is probably more work than it's worth.

5. See Facts & Genes from Family Tree DNA
        ==================================
        April 4, 2003 Volume 2, Issue 3

for more ideas on how to find participants.

Comment

John,
          Thanks, I thought I had posted to Geneology.Com. I did post tonight as you suggested.
          Nancy

Comment

correction

In my first Post I listed John Wiley born 1819 as my Great Grandfather. I meant to write Gr-Gr- Grandfather. Sorry! I don't know if I can go back to that post and make the correction.
            Nancy

Note from admin: users have now 15 minutes to make corrections to their postings. I went there and made the correction for you.
            Max

Comment

Good morning, Nancy,
              Nancy

Hope your son is making a great recovery from his slight accident. At least, he will probably have fun collecting autographs!

I believe John Blair has responded to several ways to collect donors for your project. Initially, I did not have too much success with mass mailing or e-mail. I had four "Dead letter" returns, and loads of e-mail bounces. The response from both projects was minimal. Quite frankly, I dislike doing all the letter work and e-mail work and hear absolutle nothing back, not even a "thank you for your time., but no thanks."

Although I did have a built in roster, owing to my membership in the Hull Family Association, I have found that even with that availability, the best approach is personal calling by telephone. But, I wouldn't recommend that until you have done your home work and targeted a particular family and a person within that family that might possibly be a willing cnadidate.
              I like the telephone approach since it allows you to answer the questions immediately and to broaden the called person's knowledge (and maybe your own for that matter). I think people are always glad to here from another person that has their surname or is possibly connected to their family. At least a human voice is better at the other end than a letter or e-mail.

Also, I think any time you show a personal interest in another's family, they are willing to respond more positively. I have trouble doing this with letters and e-mails. That is not to put down either of these avenues of communication, but just mentioning from my own experiences. Also, you are dealing in what some consider to be about as personal as one can get (parting with their DNA), so the voice on the other end of the line is more personable.

Well, now that I've gone around the block with this, it's time for a morning swim. 9r is the temperature for today in AZ.

Cheers,
              jrh

Comment

Bulk Mail

Hi John,

Just curious... what kind of response did you get to your bulk email? I have considered trying that to find participants for the HUMAN surname study (there aren't too many HUMANs around!), but I figured people would think I was nuts! Did you have any positive responses?

Jeanne Arguelles

Comment

Re: Bulk Mail

Hi Jeanne,

Our committee (my daughter, son and his wife, and Association genealogist) mailed out 500 letters. Response from this was only 10 people, and 6 returns for lack of good address. The amount of time and labor, as well as cost, was disappointing and not all that productive.
                  If you have prospects or names, I still like the "human voice" approach. Oh, I forgot to mention, we sent a return postcard with each letter and 14 were returned, 10 either stating not interested and the other 4 wanted more info - "tell me more."
                  Hindsight with experience suggests that e-mail, telephone, and website bring in the most business, plus with telephone, you get the questions answered and I think a better feel if the contact is really interested.
                  As for letters, I would reserve that for sending additional information such as FAQs or application material, and to those that have indicated a genuine interest and want to know about your Study.
                  Probably each one of us finds something that works best. I like to chat and discuss DNA testing and genealogy, so I like the personal contact rather than letter writing.
                  By talking with a prospective candidate, you can learn many reasons why they should do a DNA test, which may not be captured with letters of introduction, etc. Also, I always think that when they hear me say my last name that always gets their attention right away. Seems like we always have an affinity to our surnames.

Hope this helps.

cheers,
                  Jim Hull

QUOTE]Originally posted by ejarguelles
                  Hi John,

Just curious... what kind of response did you get to your bulk email? I have considered trying that to find participants for the HUMAN surname study (there aren't too many HUMANs around!), but I figured people would think I was nuts! Did you have any positive responses?

Jeanne Arguelles
                  [/QUOTE]

Comment

Re: Bulk Email

Hi Jeanne,

As far as I can tell I've had no positive reponses from bulk emailing. This is really a "long shot" when it comes to finding participants. It's a lot of work harvesting the addresses and the vast majority are no longer valid (in my case about 75% bounced). I would also guess that many of those that do get through are either picked up my spam catchers or automatically deleted as spam by the recipient.

Your best bet is to target your mailings to those you know are interested in genealogy. Genealogical societies and surname mailing lists are your best bet.

If your surname has a genealogical society or surname list don't forget to target all those RESEARCHING your name, not just those with your name. Many of my participants are brothers and cousins of those who I contacted. Some of my biggest recruiters do not have the surname Blair.

One other source I used was my own website guestbook.

Good Luck

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for your input John and Jim...you confirmed that bulk billing is not the way to go. I see where you are at Jim with your phone calls but it is not a viable concern for me living in Australia and my participants mostly living in US of A. Now John if I wanted to look for these Genealogy Societies where should I start? I already belong to the Rootsweb Lists. I have used Ancestry and genealogy.com. I have intentions of approaching (have already done so for a couple of Participants) each participant and asking them to approach their known branches for other participants.

Nancy..you started this thread so my suggestion to you...get down to the Hospital and ask that Dr Wiley if he does genealogy, or if any of his relatives do. He may offer to be one of your participants or may be able to give you a lead to one of his male relatives eh. For him to be in your area it could quite likely be he is a branch of your family anyhow.

Hooray.

Comment

I've found the best way to find information on any given surname is to use a search engine such as Google and search for the surname and genealogy. For example if I want to find genealogical websites for BLAIR I search for "Blair genealogy" (without the quotes). I like Google but this technique works with almost all search engines.

John

Comment

I did a slight variation of John's idea today - did a search on the Martin surname, but then added the name of a county where our particular branch lived - Albemarle, Jessamine, etc.. I then visited personal web sites of Martin researchers in those areas and wrote them an e-mail asking for their help in getting the word out about our DNA project. I realize that I could not do all the Martin family lines that way, but I'm hoping to get a few more participants and maybe some people who will be spreading the word when they talk to a Martin researcher. My letter made it clear that our Project is for ALL Martin's.

Kay

Comment

Working...
                          X