Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you handle your Pedigree Info?

Hi Everyone,

I am one of the Group Admin's on the STOCKTON Surname Project, we are just begining our project and are still laying out our website and learning about DNA. We are off to a fairly good start with 10 Donors signed on, and one long disputed connection between family lines verified! We will have pedigrees for all our Donors submitted to us and I was curious as to how the other surname projects handle this information...Do you make it available to everyone on your website (my first inclination) to help submitters make connections, or do you use this infomation for your own files only?(to establish perameters for future test subjects). I feel like it should be available through a link to the Donor ID perhaps, but would this be getting into a privacy issue? just curious as to what availability to assign to this infomation?
    would appreciate any and all input.

All the Best

Hi Mystree,

I'm Family Coordinator for the BLAIR DNA Project. I also require participant submit a pedigree chart with their application. Here's the way I handle the information on my website.

Initially I post each participant's ID# and OLDEST ancestor only. As the test results come in I also post them to the website. After I get the test results I contact the participant and encourage them to sign an Information Release Form, indicating what contact information they are willing to share with others on the website. They can elect to share any or all of the following: name, address, phone number, email address, pedigree. Or they can elect to remain completely private. Without a signed release form the only information that I will post on my website is ID#, test results and oldest ancestor.

If you wish to see how I do it, my website is http://blairgenealogy.com/dna

John A. Blair

Comment

John,

Thanks so much for your kind reply, I took the time to visit your website. What an incredible amount of information, well thought out presentation and design elements you have incorporated into the site. Our project site will never approximate yours due to our limited computer skills, however, you have handled the privacy question with a workable solution for us. I also like the way you provided links to the additional information from the DNA donor test results page, that is what I had in mind doing with our test results page, It helped to see a working model. Again thanks.

All the Best

Comment

Our results page starts with codes and raw numbers but page down to the summary chart. Notice the Ancestry column. I have links for each ancestor (unless awaiting info). I have a page for each person. I edit out all living persons and do not name the participant.

Our project is "random" - although I prefer "broad."

My dream is to put that data into a database WITH documentation - eventually making it public on RootsWeb WorldConnect. Already I have people claiming the same early ancestry but with conflicting data. It's easy enough to put them in a database - but getting documentation is touchy. If I get too pushy about documentation, it scares off prospective participants.

G.

Comment

Re: How do you handle your Pedigree Info?

Good Morning MYS,

I post the pedigrees on the website, but leave off any dates with due respect to those currently living. I always ask the participant if he/she has any objection to adding the pedigree to the website. I haven't had any "NOs" in that regard.
          I think one of the key elements in all of this is to connect families and to solve mysteries, and you can't do that if you don't get the evidence out where people can view it. I provide a hyperlink from the results string for each donor.
          I also beleive it can provide additional interest level, to see ones' "pedigree" posted on the Internet. A sort of "Hey, that's us!"
          Also, it can bring in another participant who knows he/she is connected to a particular line, or at least it may spark some interest for an inquiry either to the do the DNA test, or to contact the family. In either case, you are accomplishing your mission - to identify and to connect the artificial divisions and bring them into one family.

cheers,
          Jim Hull

Originally posted by MysTree
          Hi Everyone,

I am one of the Group Admin's on the STOCKTON Surname Project, we are just begining our project and are still laying out our website and learning about DNA. We are off to a fairly good start with 10 Donors signed on, and one long disputed connection between family lines verified! We will have pedigrees for all our Donors submitted to us and I was curious as to how the other surname projects handle this information...Do you make it available to everyone on your website (my first inclination) to help submitters make connections, or do you use this infomation for your own files only?(to establish perameters for future test subjects). I feel like it should be available through a link to the Donor ID perhaps, but would this be getting into a privacy issue? just curious as to what availability to assign to this infomation?
          would appreciate any and all input.

All the Best

Comment

Hi,

Well if you want to look at a basic website go to http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~dnapower and see how I have attempted to cover it. I, also, have included a pedigree chart to each result...by clicking on the Participant's number. The numbers are arrived at by using the letter P to denote surname and at the end the letter S or P. The latter being a participant whilst the first is provided by a sponsor.

I have requested only the male side of the family tree(s)..giving the birth date/place and name of the male, along with his wifes name and date of the marriage. When it comes to the participant himself I have his birth date/place and marriage date only...under the "name" of the number.

When an exact match is found the two may make contact by emailing me and I will then send their email address to the other participant to decide whether to make contact or not. To date everyone (only have ten too) has agreed to make the contact. It now looks like I will have five 25 marker tests being requested in the near future.

Hooray.

Comment

Working...
            X