Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Risky to Display DNA Values on Public Page?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Risky to Display DNA Values on Public Page?

I am just interested in everyone's opinion here. Seriously, is there any real risk to displaying the DNA values on a public web page? What are the risks?

I don't think so. You're not publicizing any medical information. I suppose arguments could be made about the risks of publicizing people's ethnicity as determined by DNA testing, but the flipside is that the results of such testing could actually help to increase tolerance. That said, I choose to hide my participants' names, instead opting to identify each by their earliest known ancestor, for general privacy -- I just don't think it's necessary for the general public to know exactly who took the tests.

Elise

Comment

Originally posted by efriedman
      I don't think so. You're not publicizing any medical information. I suppose arguments could be made about the risks of publicizing people's ethnicity as determined by DNA testing, but the flipside is that the results of such testing could actually help to increase tolerance. That said, I choose to hide my participants' names, instead opting to identify each by their earliest known ancestor, for general privacy -- I just don't think it's necessary for the general public to know exactly who took the tests.

Elise

what is actually worse to display and no one would think five seconds on it is causes of death of relatives. granted someone would have to think something most people cant do. but seeing all my devers used to die at 54 of conronarys could imply i might . they would be wrong because i follow the dennings who die of pneumonia at 89 unless hit by a car.

some things just arent worthworring about me being e3b isnt going to deny me insurance very soon. most people here dont have a clue what it means

Comment

OK - alternatively, where is the extra benefit in posting these values if members are sharing their YDNA data with other surname projects anyway?

BTW, I find it interesting that if a member has chosen NOT to share his YDNA data with other surname projects, his data will still appear on the public page. I have a member who did not sign a release, and his data still appears on the public page if I configure our page to display the values of our members. (feature currently disabled)

Comment

Originally posted by TSBinLV
          OK - alternatively, where is the extra benefit in posting these values if members are sharing their YDNA data with other surname projects anyway?

BTW, I find it interesting that if a member has chosen NOT to share his YDNA data with other surname projects, his data will still appear on the public page. I have a member who did not sign a release, and his data still appears on the public page if I configure our page to display the values of our members. (feature currently disabled)
          DONT USE NAME OR KIT NUMBER BUT OLDEST ANCESTOR THAT WAY NO ONE KNOWS WHO HE IS

Comment

Working...
          X