Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beyond English alphabet?

Kindly asking for a summary of your collective experience

How does Family Tree DNA system behave when fed Latin based characters, but from outside of English alphabet?

For years, I was avoiding the problem, but today I gave up...

There is a city named Łódź. In Yiddish that would be Lodzh. In Russian Лодзь. Short lived Nazi German Litzmannstadt does not count.

Descendants of a Russian born there would probably write Лодзь, as they would be looking primarily at Russian matches. Let's skip that for a moment.

Can I count that everybody converts Łódź into Lodz? I highly doubt that native Polish speakers would do that. Also those for whom ó is a real letter in their alphabet might be tempted to write Lódz... So..., is FTDNA system smart enough to know that both Lódz and Lodz are Łódź? OK, that was an easy one. What about names and family names? How does name matching work here for European languages that have their writing systems based on the Latin alphabet? Herr Mueller and Herr Müller ? Should both forms be entered... (It is a stupid question, so I am not even giving it a question mark.)

By the way, I am not complaining, I am asking...

I am fully aware that officially GEDCOM is Unicode unfriendly..., so checking on GEDCOM submissions that they are proper UTF-8 would be adding an insult to injury...

Surely sometimes problems can be glossed over and Copenhagen beats København hands down worldwide. But can I count on everybody knowing that Ålborg and Århus should not be treated as Alborg and Arhus, but Aalborg and Aarhus? No! Thus I would love to hear that I could tell everybody in my family that they should just use whatever correct spelling is, be it Björk, Kjær, Lefèvre, Müller, Muñoz, Stankevičienė or Śrót.

Thank you very much for any insight!

P.S. The Learning Center did not appear to have anything about Unicode or UTF-8

Originally posted by dna View Post
    What about names and family names? How does name matching work here for European languages that have their writing systems based on the Latin alphabet? Herr Mueller and Herr Müller ? Should both forms be entered... (It is a stupid question, so I am not even giving it a question mark.)
    Unfortunately, the FTDNA project search does not match Högermann with Hogermann or Hoegermann.

Comment

Mixed experience

When ordering the kit, a person from Poland entered the family name with Ś and the street address with ó.

Both Ś and ó are visible in the profile. The kit was successfully delivered yesterday and it was explained to me that the address kept its ó, but Ś in the name was replaced by ?...

W.

Comment

surname spellings

This, of course, is why we should be allowed to have our own "manually created and edited" MASTER list of 'POSSIBLE' spellings that could include all those various forms of the spelling. Then, no matter what language or keyboard or operating system the searcher is using the unique spelling being searched just might be found - AND THE FAMILY TREE ASSOCIATED WITH IT.

It goes without saying that the MASTER list would be in the public domain (at our individual MyFamilyTree site) where google, bing or whatever search engine and find it.

Comment

Working...
        X