Y-DNA tests failing more often

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Y-DNA tests failing more often

Are other projects seeing more and more failures "to yield results for your sample." Upgrades bought in the last sale are all failing. Everyone one of my kits whose results were due tomorrow now have the dreaded message:
    "This test failed to yield results for your sample. Your sample is being rerun now. Results from this round of testing are expected by this date. Please note that predicted dates are an estimate and subject to lab volume and quality control."

This seems to happen with every sale now. Is this just a BS statement to cover up the fact that they aren't making the deadline?

I have 5 kits in one project with this statement. All are batches 520 and 521.

Just wondering what is happening.

My Y-DNA Upgrade failed in Batch 520. I believe it is a BS statement to cover up the fact that they aren't making the deadline! I am still waiting for it.

Comment

Originally posted by rewm60 View Post
      My Y-DNA Upgrade failed in Batch 520. I believe it is a BS statement to cover up the fact that they aren't making the deadline! I am still waiting for it.
      The people that are failing the test are no scrubbing the inside of there mouth correctly they are just spiting on it and you need the skin cells inside the mouth not spit.

The people that don't scrub correctly also slow down testing for everyone because they have to keep getting retested and taking slots from others.

Comment

I also think it is a BS statement for being behind. The swabs were done correct no spit and I've had kits with the same message. If parts of the tests come back ok and other parts fail it is not always the swabs are bad.

Comment

The only time it fails is when its during a sale

Comment

Originally posted by madman View Post
            The people that are failing the test are no scrubbing the inside of there mouth correctly they are just spiting on it and you need the skin cells inside the mouth not spit.

The people that don't scrub correctly also slow down testing for everyone because they have to keep getting retested and taking slots from others.
            I did scrub correctly as you pointed out. In fact the second one I had a little blood on it. I have not had a problem with my Y-DNA upgrade until panels 48-67. I did have a problem with my mtDNAPlus which was also with a sale that came back this one did on the due date but the next day it magically appeared.

Comment

Not just Y DNA tests, but all tests are failing more than they used to, all stemming from the recent sales starting last Christmas and upgrade to build 37. My grandfather's original sample had several tests on it, all of which came in way early, and then one snp (this last spring) failed several times and took 4 1/2 months to complete. One snp! My FMS just came in after twice getting new expected dates.

For some reason, certain people around here never want to accept that FTDNA is having issues. When FTDNA fails to acknowledge tests sent to them, it's the post office's fault. When tests fail over and over, even on kits that never before had a problem, it's now a swabbing problem? Come on...

The weird thing is 23andme and Ancestry tests seem to be failing more than they used to as well. I got unacceptably high no-calls on my Ancestry raw data myself and 23andme has a rash of results with high no-calls. I wonder...

Comment

Maybe cheap tests are not such a good thing!!! You get what you pay for?

Comment

Maybe cheap tests are not such a good thing!!! You get what you pay for?
                  You could very well be right. 23andme dropped their prices and I'm seeing a rash of results with very high no-call rates. Hey, my first test cost $499 and I've paid $299 for a couple other's. My first 2 FTDNA test kits were not sale kits. No problems for those expensive tests: good no-call rates and results seem to come in before their expected dates. Now everything is late. I recently bought a v3 upload to FF for my grandpa but it didn't get batched for 2 weeks. It was only after I called them that I got an expected date! Ugh.

Comment

I wonder if the different companies are all getting the dna preservative from the same source. Maybe it is below par...I had a cousin recently use a kit that was over a year old & there weren't any problems.
                    Last edited by ragnar; 27 August 2013, 02:55 AM.

Comment

I admin/co admin for 5 projects.
                      I can not say we have seen any failure from sales or not. Majority of test come in within the estimated due date.

kits sent out in a sale or not are same kits., eg they do not send different kits for sales.

Maybe the testers are not swabbing correctly....

Comment

Cheap tests are a good thing as they help grow the database, and this is what we all want. Right? The reason I would imagine they "fail" or take longer is because of the demand on actual staff to run the tests.

Maybe related or not related to this, but in referencing the thread that was closed by Darren in the mtDNA section. The only late test for me out of three ordered here so far was my mtDNA plus test. It was the first test I ordered, and the original due date was mid January, I received the result early March. The mtDNA especially the FMS is the test that is notorious for taking the longest.

My PF and FF results were due at the end of last July and I received them early, at the beginning of July. My brother's yDNA 12 marker came in super early at only being in the lab 10 days! I already know when I upgrade this test it will not be this speedy.

23&me will also obviously have the same issues with later than expected test results as their volume of tests increased too, because of dropping their price.

Honestly I wish I had the money and resources to open my own genetic genealogy business. I would incorporate all the features that I love about all the companies out there. Oh well one can dream......

Comment

Working...
                        X