Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

unhappy geno 2 transfer mtdna project members?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unhappy geno 2 transfer mtdna project members?

What does ftDNA suggest mtdna project administrators tell unhappy project members who complain when they see
    HVR1 MATCHES
    HVR1, HVR2, AND CODING REGION MATCHES

You have not purchased the upgrade to this level of testing.

Purchase An Upgrade
    HVR1 AND HVR2 MATCHES
    HVR1, HVR2, AND CODING REGION MATCHES

You have not purchased the upgrade to this level of testing.

Purchase An Upgrade
    even though their Geno 2 data file has this information?

The Geno 2.0 tests selected SNPs throughout the mtDNA. It does not completely test the HVR regions. For this reason, the Geno mtDNA data is not fully compatible to the FTDNA tests.

Comment

What Did They Really Buy

It seems to me that lots of people are unhappy with Geno 2.0. I believe the #1 reason is because they have no idea what they are buying. Neither The National Geographic Society nor FTDNA provide much information about what the customer will really be receiving.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
        It seems to me that lots of people are unhappy with Geno 2.0. I believe the #1 reason is because they have no idea what they are buying. Neither The National Geographic Society nor FTDNA provide much information about what the customer will really be receiving.
        My advice to women who are interested in ordering Geno 2.0 is to have a close male relative, especially a brother, take the test. The $199 price tag is a great deal if you're male, given the 12,000 yDNA SNPs tested. That will give the father's yDNA haplogroup and the mother's mtDNA haplogroup.

It's not such a great deal if a woman tests. Geno's mtDNA results are good, but not as good as a full mitochondrial sequence at FTDNA, now on sale for $199.

As for Geno's autosomal results, you don't get cousin matching and the admixture results you get are not that informative. They will basically break down those with predominantly European ancestry into only three categories - Northern European, Mediterranean and Southwest Asian.

Comment

Working...
        X