Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introductory Tread

Hi All,

This is the introduction thread for the Scandinavian Y-DNA forum. Please take a moment to say hi and tell us a little bit about your genealogy background and why you DNA tested.

Best,
    Rebekah - Project Admin

Hi! My name is Peter, my Y-DNA is scandinavian: danish. I tested for finding and getting in contact with distant relatives. I have done my genealogy for two years and my straight paternal line is the second one line I know least about. I live in Sweden. I ordered my test a week ago, waiting for them to show up!

Cheers! / Peter

Comment

Originally posted by PeterLarsen View Post
      I have done my genealogy for two years and my straight paternal line is the second one line I know least about.
      Cheers! / Peter
      Hi Peter,

I checked out your website - I like it! What software did you use to make the webpages that have the trees/charts? I think I would like to do something similar.

Also, I looked at your ancestry.com tree (though the link you provide goes to your grandmother I believe), and didn't find the Norwegians. Being on my paternal side all (southern) Norwegian I was wondering where your 25% Norwegian might be.

Edit: I think I found them - I was looking at your grandfather's tree. I have many ancestors from Rogaland also, though not on the Y line, which comes from Vest Agder.

My Y haplogroup (current nomen I2a2a - old nomen I2b1) fits right in with the Danes and Swedes as well as the rest of the North Sea/Baltic Sea crowd.
      Last edited by S9 H9; 15th December 2013, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by S9 H9 View Post
        Hi Peter,

I checked out your website - I like it! What software did you use to make the webpages that have the trees/charts? I think I would like to do something similar.

I have many ancestors from Rogaland also, though not on the Y line, which comes from Vest Agder.

My Y haplogroup (current nomen I2a2a - old nomen I2b1) fits right in with the Danes and Swedes as well as the rest of the North Sea/Baltic Sea crowd.
        Hello!
        Thanks! The software used is: webtrees, its a free php-package. The fan-charts is a builtin feature, but I have modded the php-code myself (more generations shown in the same picture).

If you have many ancestors from Rogaland we might match as soon as my FF-test is done! I have lots of ancestors from that area, around the westcoast, Alvaldsnes. It would be strange if we didn't share any!

This DNA-genealogy is new to, still trying to get a grip on all variables. Hopefully my haplogroup will let me focus on one subarea in the science sinse I tend to go to the bottom of things, and the DNA-genealogy area is way to big to learn everything about!

If you find any common ancestors with, please let me know and we can share information

Comment

Bob Hanson here. y-DNA [I-L38 or I2b2 or I2a2b] from Odense area of Denmark. With new Danish records on line I have been able to go back to patronymics in early 1800s. Patronymic contributors were Jens, Lars, Rasmus, Peder, Anders, Hans, and a Thage/Thyge... Probably same as yours... I-L38 are known for the Lichtenstein Cave folks.

My strongest DNA matches are Van Hooser and Van Hoosen traceable back to Husum Germany in the 1600s; it was part of Denmark back then and but 200 km or so from Odense.

Kudos on your site. My site has a different [lack of...] focus. www.go2genepool.com

Bob H

Comment

R1a - L448

Hello,

Up until about 4 months ago I think I was 100% Irish decent on both sides of my family since I have a paper trail back 6 generations to Ireland, but no country or townland location.

With the advancement in DNA testing I thought it worth while to see if I could work from the opposite end of the time line "Adam" and work forward to 1800AD.

To my surprise I found out that I am L448 so I guess there was a Norwegian in the wood pile sometime back.

My test kit #309012 and I am awaiting for my test results back from an upgrade from 37 to 67 markers.

I've also tested with Nat Geno 2.0 and found a uncommon SNP marker F1529+

Regards,

Tom

Comment

Greetings

My name is Douglas and I found out I have Scandanavian dna, after testing Z372+. I later tested L257-, so I am hoping for more snps downstream of Z372+ to be discovered. My Z18+L257- Project director is keeping his eyes open for these newly discovered snps. I am also an adoptee.

I have verified 2nd-4th cousins, and we share common ancestors in the Liberty/Bryan/Chatham counties, Georgia late 1700s/early 1800s and ancestors in England mid to late 1600s, so I guess at some point in history my paternal ancestor was in Scandanavia.

This is interesting, always liked history.

Best Regards, Douglas W. Fisher

Paternal: U106+Z18+Z14+Z372+
              Maternal: V according to FTDNA pending FMS results. V19 according to Geno 2 test. I have (2) people who I match perfectly, all the same mutations and they are V19a. FMS results will place me either in V19a or elsewhere.

Comment

webtrees

I downloaded the webtrees program i believe it was version 1.6.2 I don,t see a exe file or folder.. can anyone tell me what i have to do to se it up on my computer.. thanks, gary

Comment

it's a server application

http://wiki.webtrees.net/en/Installation

Comment

My name is Connie and my background is "muttish": English, Scottish, German, French Canadian, Native American, Danish and Norwegian.

I originally got into DNA testing through my male cousin to smoke out my grandfather's family information from the genetic woodpile. Having little luck there, just for fun, I tested myself for MtDNA and family finder. I have had some success with FF (found a cousin or two), and my MtDNA has an exact (H2a1f) match with a Danish woman who has written a book about her DNA testing experience -"My Beautiful Genome." She even includes some genealogical information, but I still cannot connect the dots-too far back, I suspect. Through standard genealogy, I was able to connect with a fifth or sixth cousin whose family derived from Etne, Hordaland, Norway (as did mine), she has done an extensive amount of research, but we do not match on FF - too distant a connection.
                    Last edited by rmm0484; 15th January 2015, 06:09 AM.

Comment

Welcome Connie

I had Nat Geo 2.0 & STR-111 completed on the Y-side along with a basic test on the X-side of the chain.

I haven't tried the FF since I know everyone on both sides of my line for 6 generations.

We are all mutts at some point back in time.

Best of luck on your search.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishJersey View Post
                        I had Nat Geo 2.0 & STR-111 completed on the Y-side along with a basic test on the X-side of the chain.

I haven't tried the FF since I know everyone on both sides of my line for 6 generations.

We are all mutts at some point back in time.

Best of luck on your search.
                        So you know all the descendants of 64 of your gggg-grandparents?

Congratulations!

W.

P.S.
                        Although we know our ancestors that far back, we do not know all of their descendants. Not even close... Especially when a second marriage was involved.

Comment

I wish I could take credit

My grandfather and grandmother where into genealogy & kept good records (except where their grandparents came from in Ireland).

And naturally there is a brick wall of no records prior to 1800.

No divorces on my line that far back, but everyone had 8 to 12 kids and everyone is named James, John, Mary, Bridget, sometimes due to early childhood death they name the next kid with the same first name.

Comment

Working...
                          X