How do I find out what Part of African My Ancestors are From

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I find out what Part of African My Ancestors are From

I see websites that test dna and will tell me where my Ancestors are from, how accurate are these tests really.
    Last edited by casadecoqui; 14th June 2006, 02:03 PM.

Sheri,

I have ordered and received an analysis from Genetic Ancestors and here's an e-mail reply from Dr. Arne Rohl from a question I had on how extensive is their database and what if they don't have matches:
    "Thank you for your interest in our service. Our database consists of approximately 40.000 individuals from all over the world. Roughly about 7.000 of them are located in Africa.
    When comparing mtDNA we will look for best matches in our database. Typically we will find exact matches (people sharing the exact mtDNA profile) but in rare cases (about 5%) there are one or two differences. In the case that no exact match is found we will list all the matches having the least differences to the given mtDNA profile. So we will list the genetically nearest cousins.

Our database is the only one in the world consisting of scientifically secured sequences. The (maternal) ancestry of each individual has been checked for at least three generations to avoid the influence of human migrations in the last centuries. So a database comparison will show the maternal geographical origin not the spread over the world of today's living people."

Really I think the Genographic project will answer a lot of these questions, from what I heard from the recent conference that they had in South Africa, that the data after the project will be available to the public, but this may be 10 years from now.

Hoyte

Comment

7,000 from Africa, a huge continent such as Africa and only 7,000. Thats a spit in the bucket. So will they compare us to the 7,000 in Africa and actually come up with our exact ethnic group?

Comment

I also had my results analyzed with Genetic Ancestor a few months ago and was very happy with the matches for my HVR-1 and HVR-2 mtDNA. They will tell you if there are differences and my results indicated that there were none. In terms of volume there does not seem to be many in Africa, however that I was matched to 60 individuals and was given a report of the tribal affiliations, language and geographical area. The also tell you which publications they relied on.

That information was worth its weight in gold to me. Also I would like to note that the report allowed me to focus my research a bit better, I know which countries (regions) to explore and for now which to leave alone. The 60 individuals in my report were mostly coastal with the bulk being in Mozambique and West-Central Africa. The cost is reasonable and my results were received in about 24 hours via email. It is sent in PDF form. This is a sampling of what I received from them, if anyone wants to see my entire list you can send me a private email and I will be happy to share the entire findings of my Genetic Ancestry results with you: This is the first 15 or so matches, the later part of the list shows more Mozambique matches.

1 Berber, Tachelhit speaker, Souss valley, Morocco
        1 Hide tribe, Chadic-speaker, Afro-Asiatic language family, Tourou, Mandara mountains, Cameroon
        3 Bamileke tribe, Bantu-speaker, Bandjoun village, Bamileke plateau, Cameroon
        1 Ewondo tribe, Bantu-speaker, Febe village, Yaunde area, Cameroon
        2 Mandenka tribe, E Senegal
        1 England
        3 Limba tribe, Sierra Leone
        2 Mende tribe, Sierra Leone
        1 Temne tribe, Sierra Leone
        1 Amhara tribe, Semitic-speaker, Afro-Asiatic language family, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
        1 South Sudan
        2 Bubi tribe, Bioko island, Equatorial Guinea
        1 Portugal south of Tejo
        1 Shangaan/Ronga tribe, Bantu-speaker, Niger-Kordofanian language family, Mozambique
        2 Shangaan tribe, Bantu-speaker, Niger-Kordofanian language family, Mozambique
        3 Algerian, northern Algeria
        2 Moroccan Arab, Morocco
        1 Saharawi, Sahara
        1 Tunisian, Tunisia
        3 Mbundu tribe, Bantu-speaker, Angola
        1 Bambara tribe, Senegal
        1 Saharan, West Sahara
        1 Serer tribe, Senegal
        2 Wolof tribe, Senegal
        1 Gran Canaria, Canary Islands

Sasa Sullivan
        Co-Administrator FTDNA African DNA Project

HaplogroupL2

HVR1 differences From CRS16223T 16278T 16294T 16309G 16368C 16390A 16519C

HVR2 differences From CRS 073G 146C 152C 195C 263G 309.1C 315.1C

Comment

AfricanAncestry.com links you to contemporary African groups that share your DNA profile based on either direct female or male line.s This may be what you are looking for.
          I have used them for myself and for a great uncle and I am very satisfied with the results, which included Ashanti.

Comment

This is a question I posted on Afrigeneas and maybe someone can answer. European Surnames for African-descended people is a new phenomenon, how can we determine relatedness since surnames at least for African Americans does not go back to medieval times and so it does not have the weight in determining relatedness than it does for Europeans. I had my DNA analyzed and the results I received states I have or share a 100% match with the Yoruba people and African Ancestry uses 8 markers and I have an exact match 12/12 markers with Mali; does the number of markers determine relatedness, what does it mean to share ancestry? I know it is possible that the Malian match could be a recent migration. Has anyone contacted Family Tree about the new data that includes Africa countries?

Comment

Originally posted by lee1906
              This is a question I posted on Afrigeneas and maybe someone can answer. European Surnames for African-descended people is a new phenomenon, how can we determine relatedness since surnames at least for African Americans does not go back to medieval times and so it does not have the weight in determining relatedness than it does for Europeans. I had my DNA analyzed and the results I received states I have or share a 100% match with the Yoruba people and African Ancestry uses 8 markers and I have an exact match 12/12 markers with Mali; does the number of markers determine relatedness, what does it mean to share ancestry? I know it is possible that the Malian match could be a recent migration. Has anyone contacted Family Tree about the new data that includes Africa countries?
              Some Afro-Americans picked up their surnames from their slave masters. These might or might not date around 1865. These people may or may not be related. Other people were given their surname from their father. They might be listed on the census as a domestic servant. The history of surnames is interesting. One hint is to check for middle names. People with middle names most likely have a family relationship? Notice many common law marriages occurred before 1545 to 1563 when the Council of Trent began to redefine marriage. Surnames can become more complex before this time . . . just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncommontreasur
                I see websites that test dna and will tell me where my Ancestors are from, how accurate are these tests really.
                Hi Sheri,
                I just received my mtDNA result from Africanancestry.com. The results were Balanta & Fulani of Guinea-Bissau, Mende of Sierra Leone & Mandinka from Senegal. Guinea confirms oral history & Fulani confirms what other Africans have told me I look like. Hope this helps.
                Dwainia

Comment

I would be curious to find out what my test reveal.

Comment

I would like to pursue this avenue of getting more specific ethnicity/tribe information for my husband. With these tests, do you have to do another sample or can they use your FTDNA results? Is africanancsetory.com any 'better' than Genetic ancestors? What about the Tribes scores I've read about in other forums here? This gets quite expensive and I'd like to be as resourceful as I can!

Comment

Oh, and what is the difference between the testing just mentioned and the tests that are named here on FTDNA to trace African ancestors? What I'm really looking for is to understand his entire genetic makeup, European, African and whatever is there.

Comment

More Matches in Ancestral Origins!

I can't remember when I last checked the Ancestral Origins section of my Personal FTDNA Page, but I was surprised to see an increase in HVR1 matches (still no HVR1&2).

So, I now suggest that people wait patiently for new stuff to pop up here, instead of doing the African Ancestry Test. (They found an exact match among the Yoruba for me, but Howard who has the same HVR1 mutations was told he matched the Bamileke. After weeks of emails they were supposed to send him new results based on an error they corrected, but he never received the new stuff.)

Haplogroup - Country - Comment - Count

L3 - Africa (538) - - 1
                        L3- England (2931) - - 1
                        L3 - Nigeria (37) - - 1
                        L3e3 - Africa (538) - - 2
                        L3e3 - Angola (148) - Cabinda - 2
                        L3e3 - Cameroon (494) - Bakaka - 1
                        L3e3 - Cameroon (494) - Bamileke - 1
                        L3e3 - Cameroon (494) - Bassa - 1
                        L3e3 - Equatorial Guinea (25) - Bubi - Bioko Island - 1
                        L3e3 - Haiti (9) - - 1
                        L3e3 - Jamaica (42) - - 1