Next Phase - Genographic Project - Geno 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next Phase - Genographic Project - Geno 2.0

Just saw this latest news flash come through from several blogs.
    https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com/

Pretty exciting potential. Can't wait to see the tools that will eventually support this new matching.

http://www.yourgeneticgenealogist.co...-tree-dna.html

http://dna-explained.com/2012/07/25/...e-human-story/

300 FMS/FGS and less than that WTY will be receiving this for free. Kits chosen by GP to be 'vetted' to aid development of the chip.

The lucky few will be informed soon.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by briancowings View Post
      300 FMS/FGS and less than that WTY will be receiving this for free. Kits chosen by GP to be 'vetted' to aid development of the chip.

The lucky few will be informed soon.

Good luck!
      Wow. I never knew that.

I've already ordered the test. Though we will only be charged when they ship the kits in October.

Comment

So I received an offer of $30 off the regular price. Dilemma: If I order now will I not get an offer for a "free" kit. If I wait will I miss the discount?

Comment

If it were me, I would order it with the discount. You won't be billed until the kit is shipped anyway. If you are a lucky free test chosen, the bill will be wiped and you will owe nothing!

Comment

Originally posted by briancowings View Post
            If you are a lucky free test chosen, the bill will be wiped and you will owe nothing!
            No, that's not automatic, according to Spencer Wells. If you were chosen for a free test, you can either cancel your paid order or give it to a family member or friend.

Comment

Sorry for giving wrong info, I stand corrected

Originally posted by lgmayka View Post
              No, that's not automatic, according to Spencer Wells. If you were chosen for a free test, you can either cancel your paid order or give it to a family member or friend.

Comment

Would someone benefit from this test who has already tested with 23andMe V3 and transferred their results to FTDNA Family Finder? Or would other FTDNA tests be a better investment?

Comment

I dont quite understand this test, is it like Family finder or more like a Really Deep clade test.

If its like a deep clade test will it be usefull to females??

Comment

Originally posted by rivergirl View Post
                    I dont quite understand this test, is it like Family finder or more like a Really Deep clade test.

If its like a deep clade test will it be usefull to females??
                    It tests 12,000 yDNA SNPs, 10,000 of which are not offered currently by any commercial testing company. It also tests 3,200 mtDNA SNPs, enough to confirm 90% of the subclades on the mtDNA tree. And it tests 130,000 autosomal and xDNA SNPs, but these are all "ancestry informative markers' (AIMs), used in ethnic/geographic admixture tests.

So, it's basically a combination of a super yDNA deep clade test (or mini-WTY), a comprehensive but not complete mtDNA test and an admixture test that should be much better than Population Finder, perhaps on a par with the Dodecad Project. This is what you get for $199, so for many it's a worthwhile investment, even if you're a woman who has no yDNA.

See http://www.thegeneticgenealogist.com...nces-geno-2-0/ for more details.

Comment

Question:

If somebody has some DNA of a deceased relation at FTDNA, can this be transfered to the new chip test?

Comment

I think the 12,000 SNPs, most NOT currently offered by Family Tree DNA, are interesting. Would be nice if we could get Family Tree DNA to offer an upgrade that tests for this alone; especially if we have no interest in the cousin's mtDNA, or if he has already tested for FF.

Timothy Peterman

Comment

I paid for SNP tests that I didn't need. I am disappointed with FTDNA because of this.They must have known.

Comment

Would this test be a good "second opinion"? In other words I've been considering having my autosomal DNA etc... re-tested as sort of a confirmation effort by a seperate company.

For the National Geographic Project would I provide a new sample, and would it be their lab doing the testing?

I have no reason to doubt FTDNA, and all of my experiences have been great, but I think confirmation in these matters is always good.

I already have FF/PF and Y-67Dna. But would like a clearer admixture test independent of what I've already had done.

Comment

Originally posted by Dram View Post
                              Would this test be a good "second opinion"? In other words I've been considering having my autosomal DNA etc... re-tested as sort of a confirmation effort by a seperate company.

For the National Geographic Project would I provide a new sample, and would it be their lab doing the testing?

I have no reason to doubt FTDNA, and all of my experiences have been great, but I think confirmation in these matters is always good.

I already have FF/PF and Y-67Dna. But would like a clearer admixture test independent of what I've already had done.
                              First, to answer your question, yes, you have to provide a new sample to the Genographic Project. The testing is actually done by FTDNA; I don't know whether that's at the University of Arizona lab or FTDNA's lab in Houston. I suspect it would be at FTDNA's lab in Houston, given the complicated nature of the test.

If you're mainly considering ordering Geno 2.0 as a "second opinion," I would wait until you see actual results at the end of this year or early next year. It sounds like what you're interested in as a "second opinion" is the admixture portion of Geno 2.0.

I can understand why you'd want a better admixture test than Population Finder. It has serious problems, which hopefully FTDNA will solve. However, there are other options - free! - out there for admixture analysis. There's Dr. Doug McDonald and various third party projects at gedmatch.com. (I prefer the Dodecad Project, but all of them are there to use.) Have you uploaded your Family Finder raw data to gedmatch.com and tried using these free admixture calculators?

So far, it sounds like Geno 2.0 will have reference populations, especially non-European, that no other admixture calculator presently has. But no one knows yet exactly which populations will be used. We also haven't seen any results yet to know how good their analysis (their algorithm) will be. Why spend money on a relatively unknown product when you can get pretty good analysis from free programs?

However, the test is more than just admixture analysis. It's got a fairly comprehensive test for mtDNA. If you've had the Full Mitochondrial Sequence already, that would not be attractive. But if you haven't done any mtDNA test yet or just HVR1/HVR2, Geno 2.0 may be worthwhile. And the yDNA SNPs coverage from Geno 2.0 is outstanding. No one can come near what they are about to do. They will be testing thousands of yDNA SNPs that no commercial company presently tests. That's a whole lot for $199.

So, you have to weigh those factors too in deciding whether to order right now or wait until results start coming out.

Comment

Working...
                              X