What is the benefit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the benefit?

What is the benefit in transferring my results to the Genographic Project? I'm only allowed to transfer 12 STR or HVR1.
    At that level they already have many exact matches to mine so what benefit to science does one more exact match do?
    Is there a benefit for me?, having taken the Comprehensive Genome with FTDNA?
    they're not going to be able to tell me anything more than FTDNA has given me... right?
    Thanks in advance

Originally posted by Neves View Post
    What is the benefit in transferring my results to the Genographic Project? I'm only allowed to transfer 12 STR or HVR1.
    At that level they already have many exact matches to mine so what benefit to science does one more exact match do?
    Is there a benefit for me?, having taken the Comprehensive Genome with FTDNA?
    they're not going to be able to tell me anything more than FTDNA has given me... right?
    Thanks in advance
    Well not much anymore. Unless your YDNA and/or MtDNA are extremely under-tested groups then your contribution to the Genographic Project is really not needed. Examples of highly under-tested group would be most central Asians, native Australians, South Pacific, native American etc...

12 STR and HVR1 tests are pretty meaningless these days compared to 37+ marker, autosomal, FMS and FGS tests.
    Last edited by thetick; 24 July 2012, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Thanks, thats what I was thinking.
      I'll put the $30 transfer fee towards a deep clade test when they update the tree

Comment

The above would be a better investment.

Also you may want to consider the new Genographic Project Geno 2.0 if you have not done Family Finder or 23andme.

http://forums.familytreedna.com/showthread.php?t=31054

Comment

WOW, that does look exciting... I'll have to try it.
          Do you think it's better to order from Nat Geo, or wait until FTDNA offers upgrades in the fall? ... wondering if FTDNA upgrades will be same price or discounted.

Comment

People who've already tested with NatGeo will get $30.00 off the new test ($169.00), but you have to call them. Don't know about discounts through FTDNA. https://genographic.nationalgeograph...aq/?s=discount

If Darren removes the link, send me a private message and I'll send it to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Neves View Post
              WOW, that does look exciting... I'll have to try it.
              Do you think it's better to order from Nat Geo, or wait until FTDNA offers upgrades in the fall? ... wondering if FTDNA upgrades will be same price or discounted.
              If you already have a kit number with FTDNA it is adviced to wait so you get the new test on the same kit number. Ordering directly from NG will give you a new kit number.

-Kai

Comment

Originally posted by vinnie View Post
                People who've already tested with NatGeo will get $30.00 off the new test ($169.00), but you have to call them. Don't know about discounts through FTDNA. https://genographic.nationalgeograph...aq/?s=discount

If Darren removes the link, send me a private message and I'll send it to you.

Darren only removes links when you decide to talk about Italian food. Since we are promoting this new test from National Geographic and FTDNA I dont think Darren with lock the thread

FTDNA will be doing the testing at their facility for national Geographic and adding the test to FTDNA customers too
                Last edited by Yaffa; 26 July 2012, 01:12 PM.

Comment

double post

Comment

Originally posted by Yaffa View Post
                    FTDNA will be doing the testing at their facility for national Geographic and adding the test to FTDNA customers too
                    The Genographic site said the tests were being done at "their" lab in Houston. Hah.

What's left for Univ. of AZ?

Bill Hurst

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Hurst View Post
                      The Genographic site said the tests were being done at "their" lab in Houston. Hah.

What's left for Univ. of AZ?

Bill Hurst
                      from the Native American link it states this

For Family Tree DNA clients who will be offered the upgrade in the late summer or fall, you will be able to upgrade if your DNA is less than 4 or 5 years old. Otherwise, you’ll receive a new swab kit too.

All processing will be done at the Family Tree DNA Houston facility.

Comment

Today's interview appears to tell a very different story:
                        ---
                        Q: Can I purchase the Geno 2.0 kit elsewhere?

A: The Geno 2.0 product can only be purchased through the National Geographic Society. This product cannot be ordered from Family Tree DNA.
                        ---

I suspect, though, that Bennett is merely playing with words. The original Genographic kit could not literally be ordered from FTDNA, but the same tests (Y-DNA12 and HVR1) certainly could.

Comment

Originally posted by lgmayka View Post
                          Today's interview appears to tell a very different story:
                          ---
                          Q: Can I purchase the Geno 2.0 kit elsewhere?

A: The Geno 2.0 product can only be purchased through the National Geographic Society. This product cannot be ordered from Family Tree DNA.
                          ---

I suspect, though, that Bennett is merely playing with words. The original Genographic kit could not literally be ordered from FTDNA, but the same tests (Y-DNA12 and HVR1) certainly could.
                          Sounds like he is playing with words. Dr Khran is the one who developed the X part of the test. He works at FTDNA and is the X Chrome expert so I think we will be offered the test

Comment

Working...
                          X