Y-DNA data transmission error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Y-DNA data transmission error

I joined the Genographic Project (GP), authorizing FTDNA to transmit my 12-marker data to the GP. I now find that one of my marker values listed on the GP site is incorrect, and assume there was a transcription error. I have tried to contact both the GP and FTDNA using various listed e-mail addresses, but have received no reply. Does anyone know how to contact a real person at either of the sites?

I've got the same problem.

I've got the same problem. Looks like a basic transcription error, as no conversions are needed.

My DYS389-2 is showing 16, it should be corrected to 29!

Hopefully a moderator will address this topic. I'm sure we're not alone.

If you haven't already done so folks...double check your values! I'm sure there are others of you out there!

I joined the Genographic Project (GP), authorizing FTDNA to transmit my 12-marker data to the GP. I now find that one of my marker values listed on the GP site is incorrect, and assume there was a transcription error. I have tried to contact both the GP and FTDNA using various listed e-mail addresses, but have received no reply. Does anyone know how to contact a real person at either of the sites?

Comment

Originally posted by teddy1066
      I've got the same problem. Looks like a basic transcription error, as no conversions are needed.

My DYS389-2 is showing 16, it should be corrected to 29!
      I'll bet your DSY389-1 is equal to 13. The NGP reports DYS389-2 as the FTDNA DYS389-2 value minus DYS389-1.

DYS389-2 actually includes DYS389-1.

John

Comment

Has anyone had their Dys 389-2 error corrected on the NGP page? If so what was the official reason for the error? Thanks;

Comment

Originally posted by comore
          Has anyone had their Dys 389-2 error corrected on the NGP page? If so what was the official reason for the error? Thanks;
          It is NOT an error. It is simply a different way of reporting the value. If you add the values for DYS389-1 and DYS389-2 that NGP report, you will get the DYS389-2 value that FTDNA reports.

John

Comment

Thanks John for your reply; So what happens for example if someone joins NGP gets results and their 389-1 is 14 ; their 389-2 is 17. This person decides to upload their results to FTDNA database in an attempt to find 12/12 marker match; Now their is someone that already has their Y-dna markers sitting their in the FTDNA database their 389-1 is 14 and their 389-2 is 31; My question, when the person from NGP uploads their results to FTDNA will a 12/12 match show up? even though the values are physically different in the Dys 389-2; all the other eleven values are the same.

Comment

Originally posted by comore
              Thanks John for your reply; So what happens for example if someone joins NGP gets results and their 389-1 is 14 ; their 389-2 is 17. This person decides to upload their results to FTDNA database in an attempt to find 12/12 marker match; Now their is someone that already has their Y-dna markers sitting their in the FTDNA database their 389-1 is 14 and their 389-2 is 31; My question, when the person from NGP uploads their results to FTDNA will a 12/12 match show up? even though the values are physically different in the Dys 389-2; all the other eleven values are the same.
              I'm afraid I don't have the answer to that, but I've emailed Bennett and asked him what happens with DYS# 389-2 when someone joins an FTDNA Surname Project.

If you decide to upload your results into FTDNA's YSearch you would upload the 389-2 value as the sum of 389-1 and 389-2. If you look at the range of acceptable values for 289-2 they go from 24 to 35.
              John

Comment

Friday night I sent the following message to Bennett concerning the reporting of DYS# 389-2:

"Hi Bennett,

NGP reports the values of DYS# 389-2 as the differance between DYS# 389-2 and DYS# 389-1. If someone from the NGP joins an FTDNA Surname Project and transfers his results from NGP to FTDNA, how will the results of DYS# 389-2 be reported? Will the NGP reporting convention to used or will the results be reported using the FTDNA convention?"

Here is reply I received this morning:

Hi John

We report to NGP, i.e. 13,17 and when they move to FTDNA and a project the results get converted into 13,30, so it's seamless. We'll probably make a change on our site next week to put a message explaining to the NGP folks about this difference.

E-mail any time.
                Best Regards,

Bennett Greenspan
                President
                Family Tree DNA
                http://www.FamilyTreeDNA.com

John

Comment

Thanks John for following up on this issue.

Comment

Haplogroup "changed" from R1b to J?

I noticed the same problem in my case. For DYS# 389-2 FTDNA has the value 29, while the Genographic Project gives 16. Now that we know the reporting is differenting I would not be concerned, but somehow my Haplogroup "changed" from R1b (determined using the SNP refinement) to J (12f2.1 genetic marker). So which is which? I e-mailed to the GP but received no response yet.

Cheers,

Comment

Marker 389 is a special marker...

Some more info on this particular marker I've just received from FTDNA:

"Marker 389 is a special marker because we can test it in two parts, both of which are very useful for genealogy. The first test looks at the first part of marker 389, and we call the marker tested 389-1. The second test looks at the entire marker, including the first section. In order to find out the results for the second half of the marker by itself, we must subtract the result for the first half from the result of the whole marker.

There are two ways to display the result of the second test on marker 389. In both cases, the name for the marker is 389-2. The first way to display the result is by showing the result from the original test, which is the total for the entire 389 marker, including the first section. This is how Family Tree DNA displays the result.

The second way is to show the result only for the second section that is tested by subtracting the 389-1 score from the original second test score. This is how the Genographic Project displays the result.

Basically, converting between the two is easy; simply add together the two 389 values from the Genographic Project to get the 389-2 value for Family Tree DNA, or subtract the 389-1 value from 389-2 from the Family Tree DNA results in order to get the 389-2 value for the Genographic Project."

Comment

Correction made

The GP website has corrected my Y-DNA Haplogroup from J to R1b, as determined using the SNP refinement at FTDNA. Thanks to FTDNA's Eileen Krause for her prompt intervention!

Comment

Working...
                        X