No announcement yet.

What do you get when you upload MtDNA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jeff you are right. By "comprehensive" I had something more modest in mind. If FTDNA has an overepresentation of Jewish respondents then YHRD and OXford Ancestors samples should also come into the picture since they do not suffer from this problem. If Oxford Ancestors relies too much on British samples then bring in YHRD which emphacizes the continent, etc. Just by combining existing databases respondents will get a more accurate and balanced picture.

Correction-- Moroscos do not exist as an ethnic group. The term for Iberian Muslim converts is "Morisco". Another term for Jewish converts is of course "Marrano". I should have said that there were more moriscos than marranos.

Comment

Not, of course, to be confused with Mariscos, which is something completely different, but which might have been forced upon reluctant Marranos.

I am still waiting for my mtDNA page at Genographic, which marks my DNA as being "in the lab." There is NO contact information for questions or feedback.

Jeff Schweitzer

Comment

Originally posted by josh w.
        Jeff you are right. By "comprehensive" I had something more modest in mind. If FTDNA has an overepresentation of Jewish respondents then YHRD and OXford Ancestors samples should also come into the picture since they do not suffer from this problem. If Oxford Ancestors relies too much on British samples then bring in YHRD which emphacizes the continent, etc. Just by combining existing databases respondents will get a more accurate and balanced picture.

Correction-- Moroscos do not exist as an ethnic group. The term for Iberian Muslim converts is "Morisco". Another term for Jewish converts is of course "Marrano". I should have said that there were more moriscos than marranos.
        Yikes! Say B'nei Anoussim, please. To my Brazilian bat anoussim mother, marrano means pig.

Comment

Looking for Haplogroup Family...

Need help...I've long received results from Family Tree DNA that told me that my mtDNA haplogroup was H...Then I dug into things further with a second, higher resolution test that indicated "U". I'd like to find out which U the mtDNA mutations [outside of CRS] fit under. I don't really know that much about this kind of genetics to be spounting off any terms. Can anyone help me find my ancestral mommy and maternal cousins? Where did they live?

HSV1:
          16189C
          16519C

HSV2:
          073G
          195C
          263G
          315.1C
          499A

janiep333

Comment

Layla, my apologies. It is another inflicted description rather than a self generated descrption. (I was more sensitive on later posts concerning anusim searches for origins).

Comment

Originally posted by janiep333
              Then I dug into things further with a second, higher resolution test that indicated "U". I'd like to find out which U the mtDNA mutations
              I belong to hap U too (U1a to be precise). I am not an expert and don't have access to the databases, but checking the few sources I have, I did not see U's where your HVR1 would obviously fit. 16189 and 16519 are quite common in haplogroup U, but typically they are accompanied by something else (eg, if you had 16249 then you'd likely be U1a, etc.). There are some contributors to this forum who know the literature extremely well (eg vraatyah), so hopefully they can help you.

I am curious as to which higher resolution test you have done. Was it through FTDNA? I'd be interested in double-checking my U status as well.

cacio

Comment

Working...
              X