Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Genographic Project - False Advertising?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I have said it once, I have said it 100 times. The best way to get an answer from FTDNA is to send them a message.

Comment

Donation

My feeling after reading the information on their site was that most of the $100 dollars was a donation to help fund the collecting of 100,000 samples from indigenous people.

A complimentary DNA test is provided to see how you match to them. They ask no information from you so they are not using your data. The results of the test is for your information not theirs.

The benefit to us will be if they can more clearly define migration patterns, and possibly new sub groups.

I bought the kit just to be part of the historic project.

John

Comment

Why do you believe there will be no benefit to the genographics project from individual participation?

My understanding is that if we opt-in, we will be asked questions about family ancestry -- place of origin of parents, grandparents and so on. That information is clearly useful. In fact, it seems to me the more info collected -- native populations and individuals -- the better.

1. The more Mt and Y DNA that's analyzed, the clearer the picture of the variation that currently exists, and this will provide clues to the number of main branches etc.

2. While some groups will no doubt be more highly represented (i.e. those reasonably affluent in developed countries, in particular the US, and of European ancestry), this only means that more detail will be available for those groups. But, this doesn't detract from any other group or skew any results. Some ancestry will be clearer, other ancestry not so clear.

3. In fact, it seems the real benefits are to the project and a delineation of human ancestry. For each of us as individuals, a Y or Mt test only reveals a tiny fraction of our ancestry -- father's father's... father; mother's mother's... mother. We lose all the info from father's mother and mother's father, which is most of our ancestal inheritance, the further back we go. Nevertheless, it's still fascinating... and ideally, if enough of us took these tests, we could fill in the details from other's (cousin's etc.) related to us.

I'm an amateur genealogist -- figuring stuff out through census records and the like. Now I'm thinking... if I could just get that cousin to get a dna test... and their cousin... and other genealogists would post results that we could tie into. Hmmm.

-- rc

Comment

[QUOTE=rconn2] For each of us as individuals, a Y or Mt test only reveals a tiny fraction of our ancestry -- father's father's... father; mother's mother's... mother. We lose all the info from father's mother and mother's father, which is most of our ancestal inheritance, the further back we go.

I beg to differ about the 'tiny fraction'. Go back 15 generations or so - the genes we carry on our autosomes give us 1 part in about 16,000 of that individual ancestor's genes; however, the Y has come down almost intact over that same period of time, as has the mtDNA. I feel 16,000 times closer to these single male and female ancestors than to all the others!

Comment

Our Y chromosome is about 60 million base pairs, and our genome is about 3 billion, so about 2% of our nuclear DNA comes from our direct-line male ancestor. We get all our mtDNA from our direct-line female ancestor.

Comment

The Mitochondria though, isn't central to our genetic makeup -- the powerplant of the cell, but not directly involved in our phenotype. And as said the Y is only a small percentage of our nuclear DNA.

Certainly it's fascinating being able to directly trace an unshuffled lineage through our Y and Mt. It's amazing about Mitochondria -- not only have they been directly passed through human generations, but prior to man also. In fact... in an unbroken chain since bacteria or whatever parasite they once were invaded eukaryotic cells and then developed a symbiotic (you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours) relationship. In fact... to before then.

However, while interesting to individuals, the Y and Mt only reveal a fraction of our ancestry, a fraction that becomes smaller by half each generation. The ever increasing number of non-direct male to male, female to female branches share equally (Y excluded) in our genetic makeup.

The Y and Mt research is ideally suited toward population studies, and as with the genographic project, revealing group ancestry. It's also highly useful for genealogy when going beyond father's Y and mother Mt to those of aunts, uncles, cousins and so forth for tracing and linking the many ancestral branches.

Comment

Originally posted by rconn2

However, while interesting to individuals, the Y and Mt only reveal a fraction of our ancestry, a fraction that becomes smaller by half each generation. The ever increasing number of non-direct male to male, female to female branches share equally (Y excluded) in our genetic makeup.

The Y and Mt research is ideally suited toward population studies, and as with the genographic project, revealing group ancestry. It's also highly useful for genealogy when going beyond father's Y and mother Mt to those of aunts, uncles, cousins and so forth for tracing and linking the many ancestral branches.
                mt is extremely useful for doing localities especialy where no maiden names were given

Comment

And we get all our Y-chromosome from our direct line male ancestor, as small as it is - but more than one part in 16,000 or 16,000,000!

Comment

Hello folks--

Just got my results from the Genographic Project--R1b, M343 which places my paternal line among Western European Cro Magnons.

Can anyone direct me to a a good source on this line so I can learn more?

Thanks,
                    Barry

Comment

Originally posted by admin
                      In addition to that, we also have an FAQ section where we will add more information as questions come in:
                      http://www.familytreedna.com/ftdna_genographic.html
                      Now remember that people will be able to simply upload their 12-marker results to FTDNA and make use of it at FTDNA as any normal order of 12-markers from FTDNA, including uploading to Ysearch.org for comparison purposes with other results.
                      Max, is the fee for participants in the Genographic project who wish to upload to FTDNA the same ($15) as for us to upload to the Genographic project?

Comment

Excuse My Newbie Confusion

I am Novis using Ancestry.com since early 2008 with significant personal results given I knew very little of my family to begin with. I dit both paternal and maternal testing on Ancestry.com. When I heard of this project I did Y test again to be part of this project and to get as much info on my ancestry as possible. Since finally getting my results from the project and posting the 12 markers, trying to join a surname Project, and reading the forums on Family tree, I am more confused as to what I can expect and what I can do with the three tests. So far I do not know any more than I did to begin with.. that I am of African descent. can anyone give me additional guidance in plain English. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by jwhllc
                          I am Novis using Ancestry.com since early 2008 with significant personal results given I knew very little of my family to begin with. I dit both paternal and maternal testing on Ancestry.com. When I heard of this project I did Y test again to be part of this project and to get as much info on my ancestry as possible. Since finally getting my results from the project and posting the 12 markers, trying to join a surname Project, and reading the forums on Family tree, I am more confused as to what I can expect and what I can do with the three tests. So far I do not know any more than I did to begin with.. that I am of African descent. can anyone give me additional guidance in plain English. Thanks
                          You already know your Ydna and mtdna? What more do you want to know? Do you want to link up with people who share your exact ydna halpotype (more specific than haplogroup)?
                          If you are ready for more than what you'd expect then I would suggest AncestryByDna admixture test and/or the DNA Tribes test. But a word of caution - it could start you on a long meandering road, so maybe it's best to not start unless you want to be shocked or want the truth.

Comment

And about the Genographic Project.....I love it. I think it's a great concept and it's wonderful that they have done so much with it. I love looking at the map of the human journey, etc. It's fascinating and it's something that should have been done.
                            By the way, I really liked that handsome Spencer Wells on the dvd that came with the test kit.

Comment

I love to see these old threads (3.5 yrs.) re-opened!!!

Comment

Yes, it is an old thread. Why don't I re-open one of my old threads? I made one about Spencer Wells a while back.

edit: http://forums.familytreedna.com/show...ighlight=wells

Comment

Working...
                                X