Is Family Tree DNA part of this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by admin
    In a few weeks we will make available in your personal page at Family Tree DNA, a tool that will allow you to upload your results to The Genographic Project and have your own personal page there. There will be a nominal fee for this upload, and proceeds from this fee will be directed to the Genographic's Legacy Project , which will support education and cultural preservation projects among participating indigenous groups.
    Hi Max, I don't mean to sound critical, but why would I want to move my project over to NGS, let alone move it and be charged for it?

If I read what you wrote correctly, NGS is getting for "Free" our DNA results by moving our projects over to NGS, but charging us FTDNA projects a nominal fee because they are allowing us web space for our project?

Hmmm? let me get this right, they get free results to add to their database, all the while they want to charge US to move existing FTDNA projects to NGS? LOL Not exactly a fair trade off in my mind. If they want my support, they better rethink that stance. If "I" decide to share my project with THEM, they in turn should offer us FREE web space to promote the surname projects. NGS has as much or more to gain then any one project.

After all, it was OUR projects who got so many people to get tested, and some of us have done some advertising on our own to get Sponcers so that free tests could be sent out. And NGS is expecting to get free results and charge the very projects who have worked so hard to find the participants?
    LOL if that is the case, then it's quite the racket!

If this is the case, then NGS can not count on the Lock/Locke project to participate in this move. I got all the FREE advertising I need to promote the project. I don't need to pay to have it done.

Did I missunderstand what you said? If so, please explain

Comment

NGS Nominal Fee

The better the amount and quality of information that is available to the Genographic Project, the more we will all benefit from the results. If the goal of 100,000 tests is reached, think of all the new information that will be available to us all.

I can understand why Donald Locke, who has invested a lot of his own time and money, would be upset about having to contribute further money to the success of the Genographic Project. Nevertheless, we should look at the big picture in terms of how a database of the size projected by the NGS could clarify the contradictory information currently available about the migration patterns of various populations.

As participation is strictly voluntary through FTDNA, no one is being forced into anything here. I would still hope that people like Mr. Locke will make their information available for the benefit of the project as a whole, because they have a very valuable contribution to make.

John

Comment

Not so (geo)politically correct

Ummm, I am not one who usually stands on empty political correctness.

But let's look at what the Genographic web page says at the top.

"...New DNA studies say that all humans descended from an African ancestor who lived only 60,000 years ago. Uncover the specific paths that led from him to you..."

Unless I am greatly mistaken, the 60,000 years refers to the time that the common ancestor of all NON-AFRICANS left Africa, and unless Africans are no longer being considered here, the deeper branches there diverged much before that, which is how we arrive at the time for a common ancestor of ALL modern humans at more like 200,000 years. Also, if you are interested in the project but happen to be female, you will have a hard time tracing the path from "him" to you.

PLEASE, PLEASE correct me at once if I am wrong on this. I'm still encouraging friends/relatives to participate via FTDNA. The real science has to come from the planned canvassing of native populations. There's no way that scientists could allow "self-reporting" of information from the general public to be included as data of any value. That has to simply be a feel-good measure of no relevance to scientific output, so if they want to make people feel good they really should think a little harder about how they are advertising....

Comment

I think the whole 60,000 years estimate is nonsense. Stephen Oppenheimer soundly demonstrates that 80,000 years for the emigration out of Africa is more likely. I think that Spencer Wells assumes a mere 20 years per generation (or maybe 25). This is too low for average male generations. The actual count is a bit higher -more like 30-33 years, but just enough to throw the MRCA for non-Africans back to the time that Oppenheimer projects.

Timothy Peterman

Comment

Hi John
            I have given this subject some thought, and you are quite right, a large project such as NGS would be great.

At the time I wrote that, something else was bothering me, and it didn't hit home until I sat back and gave it more thought. The cost be it nominal wasn't what was bothering me.

As a surname project manager, I do not think it is in my best legal interest to give permission to move the whole project over to NGS. I do not believe legally I have the right to move test results of others. I do think FTDNA or NGS would have to contact each participant and get his or her legal permission to have his or her test moved.

This isn't family tree research we are being asked to "share" with NGS. We are talking about DNA test results. And after giving it much thought, I can honestly say that I do not beleive we as the project managers have any business moving tests to NGS with or without permission of the participants.

FTDNA and NGS in my mind have a legal obligation to ask permission to each participant if they wish their results listed on the NGS database.
            I do not think we as project managers have a legal right to move tests on our own, nor should we be put in that situation. I think that is what is truely bothering me, that we were asked to "share" results without giving any consideration to the legal ramifications to the project managers. All it would take is for 1 participant to have his or her test moved to NGS without their permission and that project manager could be in a legal situation he or she will not enjoy.

So, I will inform the participants on my project, that if THEY wish to move THEIR test results, THEY will have to do it on their own. I will not do it for them. I just won't be put in the middle of a legal situation that is not mine to bear. You all do as you wish, I am looking out for #1, me.

Comment

It is my understanding that each idividual would have the option to share this info from their personal page. I don't think it was evr intended that the project monitors would have this "power".

Comment

Originally posted by ndaven
                It is my understanding that each idividual would have the option to share this info from their personal page. I don't think it was evr intended that the project monitors would have this "power".

what if for any number of reasons you couldnt change your account someone needs to be able to do it . but only on your wishes. youknow there are some people who just cant get this computor stuff. i have a cousin i plan on testing she isnt online so i will be doing that stuff for her

Comment

Mrs. Sylvia Lora Valdes

I bought an Ancestry Conversion Kit that is on the process of the final results.
                  My question is this:
                  Being a female what I am going to get as far of my father's ancestors? and I only have living male nephews and a son with my father's surname coming from the maternal side. Would they be good candidates to carry the Y cromosome needed to trace my father's ancestors with the Ancestry Conversion Kit ?
                  I will appreciate your answer,
                  Sylvia Lora (paternal last name)
                  Age 75 years
                  [email protected]

Comment

Ms. Lora,

I am not quite sure I understand the relationships between the nephews/son and your father, but maybe this will help: as a female, your own DNA submitted to Family Tree DNA will only be analyzed for mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) which is inherited only from the mother. That is, you will get information about your mother's mother's mother's mother's mother etc., but this will give you no information about your father.

If your father has a son, or if he had a brother who has a living son, those people would share your father's Y chromosome (NRY DNA) which is inherited from the father's father's father's father's father etc., and is passed along the same way a family name traditionally is. For example, if your father's father had a brother, and if that brother (your father's paternal uncle) has a direct father-to-son-to-son line of descent, you could get the information you want about your father from that cousin's Y DNA.

Any line that includes males and females (e.g., father's mother or mother's father) will not be traceable with what Family Tree DNA offers. There are many very good reasons why they limit their tests this way.

I am posting this to try to be helpful, but you may also want to look at the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) section of the Family Tree DNA website. They do a reasonable job of explaining all this. There are now many people reaching this forum who have come from the National Geographic Genographic project, which in my opinion does a pretty dismal job of explaining this--believe me, it can get very confusing.

Comment

Gpid

While our Genographic FAQ page is not live yet, I would like to answer here one of the most common questions that we've been asked. If you are a Family Tree DNA customer, having already been tested for the Y-DNA or the mtDNA, there is no need to purchase a kit from the Genographic Project. In a few weeks we will make available in your personal page at Family Tree DNA, a tool that will allow you to upload your results to The Genographic Project and have your own personal page there. There will be a nominal fee for this upload, and proceeds from this fee will be directed to the Genographic's Legacy Project , which will support education and cultural preservation projects among participating indigenous groups.

E-mail me any time!
                      Please Let me know how to get a GPID I already have my results but when tried to upload them they request a GPID and the only thing I have is a login Id to my results FW34NEH3U7.
                      Thank you,
                      Sylvia Lora Valdes
                      [email protected]

Comment

While our Genographic FAQ page is not live yet, I would like to answer here one of the most common questions that we've been asked. If you are a Family Tree DNA customer, having already been tested for the Y-DNA or the mtDNA, there is no need to purchase a kit from the Genographic Project. In a few weeks we will make available in your personal page at Family Tree DNA, a tool that will allow you to upload your results to The Genographic Project and have your own personal page there. There will be a nominal fee for this upload, and proceeds from this fee will be directed to the Genographic's Legacy Project , which will support education and cultural preservation projects among participating indigenous groups.

E-mail me any time!
                        ------------

Hello Mr Blankfeld,

I belong to a indigenous group (the seasaami of northern Norway) that the Genographic project maybe is testing. I have the public participant sample in processing. Is it possible to donate this sample to the indigenous sample pool or to contact a regional test center for donation?

Comment

Originally posted by lorabet
                          Please Let me know how to get a GPID I already have my results but when tried to upload them they request a GPID and the only thing I have is a login Id to my results FW34NEH3U7.
                          Thank you,
                          Sylvia Lora Valdes
                          [email protected]
                          ---------------

Hello Sylvia,

I do not think it is very smart to give your login-id in the forum. Anybody can see it and maybe use it.

Comment

Gp Id

Hello, Sylvia!

Noaide has just given you a very good suggestion. There are lots of nice folks using the internet...but also a sprinkling of nuts and/or unthinking persons who would misuse identification information.

I also found that sometimes the computer does not recognize my GPID -- simply a "glitch" of some kind. Keep in mind that computers do not think....
                            At other times, I do get in to view information. I cannot explain the differences.... If you wish, you could ask the Gen. Project for a new GPID.

Good day
                            Clara

Comment

Clara and others.

There is a solution to this "glitch" problem.

There is actually two servers running. The first begin with:

"https://www3."

To try the other server change it to:

"https://www9."

And it is very likely you will get logged in. The first tends to be overloaded, because the second seem to respond faster too.

Comment

Working...
                              X