Quebec Amerindian ancestry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quebec Amerindian ancestry?

I would like to have figures about the Amerindian ancestry in common Quebecois people, also about personal discoveries.

Any help will be welcome.

Thanks.

NA language groupings in Quebec

Well. looking at an old National Geographic map of North American Indians, Quebec was mostly occupied by tribes speaking Algonquin dialects. But before white man intruded onto the scene, Iroquoian speakers (Laurentian) were found along the St. Lawrence River and westward into Ontario (Huron).

Comment

@ kawashkar: The exact number is, of course, hypothetical. Some say less than 1% to 3%. Some Indian wannabees post on the net the ridiculous figure of 25% to 33%, which is ludicrous.

There are marriage books published that give the names of those who married Indians. Cyprien Tanguay, Ren
      Last edited by Max von Pif; 18 August 2010, 02:55 AM. Reason: Posting was cut off in mid sentence

Comment

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Last edited by Max von Pif; 18 August 2010, 02:56 AM. Reason: Posting cut off in mid sentence

Comment

Rene Jette, Stephen White, etc. There is also the PRDH (Programme de Recherche Demographique Humaine) which also includes births, deaths and other records. These should be available through the Mormon libraries.
          Last edited by Max von Pif; 19 August 2010, 02:11 AM. Reason: Ok! Note to self: DO NOT use accents, they don't post!

Comment

RE French Canadians

I tended to think that French Canadians by definition were mixed bloods. Back when I was led to believe that my maternal line was French Canadian (Wisconsin), they tended to be that way. Later, I found out I was on the wrong trail, and the line in question had a Native American maternal origin (Quebec). But I haven't given all that much thought lately. The reason Louis XIV sent ship loads of French girls to Quebec was to counter the tendency of French men marrying Native American girls.
            Last edited by PDHOTLEN; 19 August 2010, 10:48 PM.

Comment

France sent the "king's daughters" because the men who came to Quebec were single workers contracted for 3 years. After their contract, many returned to France, many stayed. Additionally, the army was sent in to counter Indian attacks. The Carignan regiment lost many men and officers who remained as settlers. All these people came as single men. The result was a shortage of women. The king sent women without doweries, orphans, who couldn't get married in France. He gave them a dowery if they accepted to go to Quebec. When they arrived in Quebec, there was a procedure for the men to request a bride. Those single men who had not requested a bride after a given delay were fined!

The "voyageur" and "coureur de bois" left New France for the west to trade furs. There were posts in Detroit, Michilimackinac (Mackinaw), Vincennes, St. Louis, etc. Others went further into Manitoba. A good number of them married Indian women. Some became known as Metis (Mechif) but not those whose descendants kept marrying whites subsequent to that one Indian marriage. Perhaps this is where your Indian line ties in.
              Last edited by Max von Pif; 20 August 2010, 03:20 AM. Reason: PS: the "voyageur" were legal fur traders.

Comment

Are there demographic reliable studies of mtDNA in the Quebec's population?

Something serious, please. Not genealogical studies, or history, which are easily manipulated.

Comment

Below is the link to the French Heritage page on FTDNA. It includes Quebec, Acadian, Louisiana, Metis and French DNA. You have a page for Y-DNA and one for mtDNA. Although the haplogroups show descent from some American Indians, they don't show them all because cross racial breeding has brought in haplogroups other than American Indian. On it's home page FTDNA has a line of research for people looking for American Indian ancestry. Soon, FTDNA will have a module which will effectively be biogeographical in nature. For the moment, if you want to have a biogeographical test done, you'll have to use 23and Me or AncestrybyDNA. French Heritage link:

http://www.familytreedna.com/public/...e/default.aspx

Comment

Try this DNA group too

http://www.familytreedna.com/public/...n/default.aspx

I have a 2nd great grandmother from Canada, 'said' to be Indian and from Quebec however I have found no records on her ( baptism ) and she was born in the 1820's and came to the US at some point. If I ever do get someone to test her MT-DNA line or ever find paper on her Ill let you know.

Comment

Working...
                    X