X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watch "The Human Family Tree" on National Geographic Channel

From the FTDNA Newsletter ...

Watch The Human Family Tree on National Geographic Channel Sunday, August 30th 9 pm et/pt

On a single day on a single street, with the DNA of just a couple of hundred random people, National Geographic Channel sets out to trace the ancestral footsteps of all humanity. Narrated by Kevin Bacon, The Human Family Tree travels to one of the most diverse corners of the world -- Queens, N.Y. -- to demonstrate how we all share common ancestors who embarked on very different journeys. Regardless of race, nationality or religion, all of us can trace our ancient origin back to the cradle of humanity, East Africa. What did our collective journey look like, and where did it take your specific ancestors? At what point in our past did we first cross paths with the supposed strangers living in our neighborhood? Now, in The Human Family Tree, the people of this quintessential American melting pot find out that their connections go much deeper than a common ZIP code.

Watch the trailer:

http://channel.nationalgeographic.co...ideos/07001_00

This program will, in a sense, be preaching to the converted among the membership of this forum, so folks you ought to spread the word to the unconverted to watch and learn.

Hopefully it will generate some DNA testing activity from a wider audience.

Comment

Depending on how good it is, it might be worth getting a DVD to present as part of a program to genealogical societies, and such.

Timothy Peterman

Comment

Good point!

Feedback along those lines would be useful.

(Reminder: it's on tonight folks)

Comment

Ooops, correction ... make that: it's on THIS WEEKEND folks.

Comment

Maybe I will get to see it on PBS.

Comment

I finally got to see Human Family Tree.
              I was not impressed.
              I can't buy the land bridge theory. People don't go north during an ice age.
              The skin color was covered, but they never mentioned the reason for people's facial features being different. He also said that mutations were rather rare as this could change peoples looks.
              I still think there are missing links.
              The NG is doing a great job going all over the world collecting human DNA.
              Why don't we match more closely?

Comment

I didn't see this, but suspect that National Geographic may have been offering an update on the Genographic project.

Did the show really say that people went north during an Ice Age? Like ice was attracting them?

The ancestors of Q & R lived somewhere in Central Asia & southern Siberia. This land was temperate & filled with big game before the last Ice Age. As part of the climatic change associated with the onset of the last Ice Age, a desert began to develop in this area. The population was divided by this growing desert with precursors of R being pushed west & southwest & the precursors of Q being pushed to the NE, where ultimately they wound up in Beringia.

Regardless of whether the ancestors of Native Americans walked across a land bridge, or took boats, the presence of Beringia was real. If you lower the sea level enough, even today, Beringia will appear, as will a number of other places that currenhtly lie just a couple hundred feet below sea level on the continental shelf.

Genetic drift can account for some of the changes in facial features. Others will no doubt prove to be local adaptations.

Did the show actually identify haplogroups? Or did it remain vague, merely saying that so and so matched, without any details?

Timothy Peterman

Comment

NG special

Overall, I was not impressed. Since I recorded it, I'll probably watch it again, skipping all the commercials of course (seeing "The Girl Who Cries Blood" promo once was once too many times for me.)

Pros:

1. the content was okay for people who knew absolutely nothing about ancient human migration and genetic genealogy

2. they discussed some discrepancies between archeology and genetics

3. the last five minutes were great for visually illustrating all of our common descent - replicating this activity could be great in the classroom

Cons:

1. extremely weak content given what they've learned over the last few years

2. too long for the content they included

3. too much extraneous info

4. I could hardly catch most of the haplogroup assignments with the way they worked them into the script

5. narration too slow - don't know if I can get a class of college students through this one

Comment

I think you can go on the NG website to see the program.
                    They talked about the ice bridge as an Immigration route.
                    I was the one that used the going north business.
                    I just had one question:
                    Again, how can they explain the eye shape of the beautiful Japanese women?
                    Sence the sun was a major factor in the color of someones skin, this will not affect a persons facial features.
                    I feel the program was designed for people that are brand new to the DNA scene.

Comment

Originally posted by darroll View Post
                      I think you can go on the NG website to see the program.
                      They talked about the ice bridge as an Immigration route.
                      I was the one that used the going north business.
                      I just had one question:
                      Again, how can they explain the eye shape of the beautiful Japanese women?
                      Sence the sun was a major factor in the color of someones skin, this will not affect a persons facial features.
                      I feel the program was designed for people that are brand new to the DNA scene.
                      From what I understood they explained that the eye fold is a trait that was selected for. From the first settlers to Southern Asia over time the epicanthic fold developed because of climate and environment and that eye change was selected for with regard to reproduction and seen as a standard of beauty and was selected for, and over time the non folded eyelid was selected for less over the folded eyelid and so that trait prevailed. I have also read explanations for the fold having to do with glare from sunlight off snow and or sand and protection of the eye from UV exposure.
                      Last edited by VelvetVellocet; 31 August 2009, 12:24 PM.

Comment

I still think we are all not related. I will trust the NG finding though and they are working hard to figure this out.
                        The Neanderthal died off so this proves that we did have two species of humans, they could of bread into the other human groups?
                        I got a kick out of Dr. Wells comment, "early man was ugly".
                        Modern science has discovered a fossel of a monkey with a human foot and it walked upright.
                        Now I just opened up another can of worms, sorry.

Comment

Unimpressed. Weak. Ten minutes on Wikipedia and you know more than what this show said in two hours. They belabored the same point over and over and over again, the fact that we all originated in Africa, and are all related. That was what 1/2 the show consisted of. So if someone doesn't know anything about DNA testing, I think it's more likely they will come away with the attitude "why bother testing since we're all related anyway?"

The rest of the show jumped around between unrelated Neandertal pseudo-science and a weak single migration into North America theory (replete with slogging thru the snow visuals). Clovis points? Who cares? I think they ran out of material and used snippets of magazine articles for filler.

Comment

300000 samples and the most powerful computers on Earth and all we get from this project is the old antiracist propaganda.
                            People got tested to know how they are special, not that they are the same as everybody else.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback on this program. I guess I'll get to see it one of these days.

Meanwhile, I have been watching the 2-DVD set of the 2009 BBC production "The Incredible Human Journey" which I found very interesting indeed.

It comprises 5 x 50 minute episodes as follows:

1 "Out of Africa"
                              2 "Asia"
                              3 "Europe"
                              4 "Australia"
                              5 "The Americas"

The narrator Dr Alice Roberts travels to each continent and visits important archaeological sites and speaks with various local genetic and archeological authorities and talks with a number of local tribal people, too. The emphasis is more anthropological than genetic, although genetic genealogy is mentioned, especially in resolving the question of whether Chinese evolved independently from Homo Erectus as they themselves had long believed.

I purchased my copy from Amazon UK:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Incredible-H.../dp/B001V7P2UE
                              Last edited by gtc; 10 September 2009, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X