Genographic DNA test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genographic DNA test

I signed on for the Genographic deep ancestry test in the middle of January. Got the test kit shortly thereafter and sent my sample. I have since been tracking the test process on my kit on the Genographic web site.

A couple of weeks ago I got a message that said the test on the first sample was inconclusive or something to that effect. And then about a week ago the message that was displayed on the tracking web site changed to showing my kit's status as DNA analysis being completed.

I was wondering why the first sample was inconclusive and how long will it take before I know the result of my haplotype?

If two people can't verify it, it goes back around again.
    This happened to me.
    I'ts better than a bad reading.

Comment

Thanks, darroll. How long did it take you to get the result? It is now eight weeks since they received my dna sample.

Originally posted by darroll View Post
      If two people can't verify it, it goes back around again.
      This happened to me.
      I'ts better than a bad reading.

Comment

Otoro,

DNA testing essentially requires a series of chemical reactions. Sometimes these reactions fail completely or partially, and sometimes they give results that are either inconclusive or incomplete. When this happens, the test needs to be run again, from the beginning. Tests can fail to provide good results for a variety of reasons. The lab is used to dealing with this and has appropriate procedures in place to handle the failures and re-tests.

The tests generally take 4-6 weeks, but if the first run fails, it could push it out another few weeks.

For more specific details about the status of your specific test, you could call or email Family Tree DNA (since they run the testing for Genographic) and they could look up your kit.

By the way, are you aware that you once your Genographic results are in, you can create a free Family Tree DNA account with them? Once you have access to your results page, scroll to the very bottom, and you'll see a section titled "What else can I do with my results?" Just follow the instructions there to create your free FTDNA account.

Elise
        Last edited by efgen; 23 March 2009, 11:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by otoro View Post
          I signed on for the Genographic deep ancestry test in the middle of January. Got the test kit shortly thereafter and sent my sample. I have since been tracking the test process on my kit on the Genographic web site.

A couple of weeks ago I got a message that said the test on the first sample was inconclusive or something to that effect. And then about a week ago the message that was displayed on the tracking web site changed to showing my kit's status as DNA analysis being completed.

I was wondering why the first sample was inconclusive and how long will it take before I know the result of my haplotype?
          Belated welcome to your new addiction. Highly suggest you take the Deep SNP test (the red pill). Will be more informative than the Genographic stuff and the very simplified map you will get. Deep SNP can tell you more about your deep ancestry by region and and exactly where the originator of your subclade came from. Good stuff that will have you hooked.

Arch

Comment

No way!!!

Originally posted by Arch View Post
            Deep SNP can tell you more about your deep ancestry by region and and exactly where the originator of your subclade came from.
            Arch
            It is BAD information like this that gives genetic genealogy a bad name. NO test will tell you EXACTLY where the originator of your subclade came from. At best, it will only suggest the region. And then the SNP test only provides information about your PATERNAL line. A very small percentage of your total ancestry.
            Last edited by Jim Barrett; 27 April 2009, 09:38 AM.

Comment

The SNP test worked for us.
              We matched a group of people in a town in France.

Comment

Jim,

You are correct in chiding Arch, but I think he is just trying to be amusing. His point about this thing being addictive is actually true . Please to say that I also received my result from the Genographic test three weeks ago. They said the delay was due to a glitch in their system and not because of a retest.

Comment

Working...
                X