Sampling of the deceased

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Studies

A friend from my U198 group recommended a blog site, Dienekes. This site lists quite a bit of information and provides easy to use links to the 6 or so studies of ancient y-chromosomes. I noted with interest that DKF reported on a study of y DNA in an ancient German cave. I am going back and try to read the original report, although my German is pretty rusty. I forgot the rule on posting URLs but am going with the flow here.

http://dienekes.blogspot.com/search/label/mtDNA
    Last edited by Deirwha; 3 December 2008, 02:11 PM. Reason: sentence of explanation

Comment

HooooRahhh

I have been happily rummaging through the Blog noted previously. It has the kind of information for which I have been asking in easy to read and digest notes and links to other articles else where, from professional on line publications to notes on Rootsweb and elsewhere. I look forward to being able to keep up and better understand, now, the little r research for the little i information.

Comment

Originally posted by cacio
        Thanks for the links. Interesting, I wonder whether they tested for H or just for selected HVR1. If it's CRS HVR1, it wouldn't necessary mean H, it's the same as Paglicci. Though it would further give a potential indication that some type of HV /R0 was in Europe this early, in contrast to some new ideas about H being younger and late-palaeolithic in Europe.

Plus, was Sykes the same as the one about the Cheddar man publicity stunt? Or the Gengis Khan presumed C descendant (who was actually R1a)?

cacio

1.I wrote last year to the identifiable sources but got no methodology specifics back; I guess they are still investigating and would not want to prejudice future publications; which in view of the location, & a pre-LGM warm-period date of origin, will be avidly followed!
        The remains were rather casually housed and preserved, until the fifties, when sporadic bone-dating technology updates attracted new attention. A pity the ceremonial mammoth skull was lost.

2.Yes cacio, the same Sykes as in the Cheddar Man study hyperbole participated.
        A noteworthy study from his lab demonstrated the low (<24%) population replacement factor driving the great Neolithic cultural-artifactual spread across Europe. He sometimes consults for a commercial DNA testing company , oxfordancestors.co.uk.
        His flamboyant reporting style captivates the Anglophone public to study DNA, but irritates his peers; even more so when his solid findings happen to prevail in overheated scientific debate!

Comment

Thanks for the links. Interesting, I wonder whether they tested for H or just for selected HVR1. If it's CRS HVR1, it wouldn't necessary mean H, it's the same as Paglicci. Though it would further give a potential indication that some type of HV /R0 was in Europe this early, in contrast to some new ideas about H being younger and late-palaeolithic in Europe.

Plus, was Sykes the same as the one about the Cheddar man publicity stunt? Or the Gengis Khan presumed C descendant (who was actually R1a)?

cacio

Bryan Sykes is professor of Human Genetics at Oxford University and founded Oxfordancestors.I think he knows a lot more about genetics than some of the people writing on this forum.

Comment

cacio

Bryan Sykes is professor of Human Genetics at Oxford University and founder of Oxfordancestors.I think he knows a lot more about genetics than some of the people writing on this forum.You can read about him at Wikipedia.

Comment

Or

one can go to Dienekes' Anthropological Forum and view a whole host of articles by people who share with Prof Sykes a certain reputation in the field, not all of whom agree with him by any means. I have enjoyed reading this blog. It has provided the kind of small r research with small i information for which I have sought for several months, because I am not a geneticist. I am a lawyer. The blog provides authoritative expositions from highly qualified researchers. Very useful. BTW, I saw Ciao quoted there. Also DKF.

Comment

A way to sample the deceased is thru envelopes they sent. I have saved letters & cards from my paternal grandmother and letters from my maternal grandmother. I hope to have the envelopes tested someday. Hopefully they sealed the envelopes themselves. I emailed DNAPrint/AncestryByDna and they said they can test from envelopes. The fee is $100 added to the regular testing cost.

Comment

Envelopes

Originally posted by rainbow
                  A way to sample the deceased is thru envelopes they sent. I have saved letters & cards from my paternal grandmother and letters from my maternal grandmother. I hope to have the envelopes tested someday. Hopefully they sealed the envelopes themselves. I emailed DNAPrint/AncestryByDna and they said they can test from envelopes. The fee is $100 added to the regular testing cost.
                  Thanks Rainbow for this idea. I know it's not new, but suggesting it made me think of my maternal grandfather, a brick wall genealogically speaking. There are no male descendants living, but my uncle may have sent letters, or even that grandfather himself. Goldmine!

Comment

Originally posted by Oriel
                    Bryan Sykes is professor of Human Genetics at Oxford University and founder of Oxfordancestors.I think he knows a lot more about genetics than some of the people writing on this forum.You can read about him at Wikipedia.

Comment

Originally posted by jaynegen
                      Thanks Rainbow for this idea. I know it's not new, but suggesting it made me think of my maternal grandfather, a brick wall genealogically speaking. There are no male descendants living, but my uncle may have sent letters, or even that grandfather himself. Goldmine!
                      Your welcome!
                      I thought it would be helpful to mention envelope (and stamp) testing.

Comment

wow

That is a great idea, Rainbow. Thank you from me. I have a number of such materials myself.

Comment

(blush) you're welcome

And who knows, maybe DNAPrint can even test from a lock or strand of hair. I haven't asked them that, but I think they could.

Comment

Working...
                          X